EDLT Labels

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Ashley W, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Ashley W

Ashley W

As many would know I am not a newby here, but must admit I am a newby to EDLT and dynamic labels and I am confused about how it works, especially on an EDLT.

Reading the help files, I get the impression on the DLT's you needed something like logic, to generate a message that updates the label, but on the EDLT you could have 4 variants pre configured per group, with something like logic and presumably an EDLT selecting the appropriate variant as appropriate. But not sure if my assumption is fully correct.

Anyway what I want to do is as follows:

On my EDLT I have a button I press to enable and disable various PIRs. They simply control a group that is then used as the enable/disable group on the PIR. No issue here, it works. However what I want to do is when the group is off I want the status label to say "Sensor Enabled" and when on to say "Sensor Disabled".

I've set up the EDLT so the button controlling the group has status type set to Dynamic Label/ICON and configured Variant 1 to says "Sensor Disabled" and Variant 2 "Sensor Enabled".

But must admit no idea how one chooses which variant to show.

Reading the help files it seems like I need to use logic, no problems I have a wiser 2, so read up on logic, in particular page 119/120 of the Feb 2015 PICED Logic Engine Programmer's Guide.

The only thing that seems to do what I kind of want is:

SetStringIBSystemIO("Label Group Text", 254, 56, 2, Variant1, 'New label');

But that would appear to be actually updating the label in Variant 1 to the text "New label" rather than selecting the label I have already set in my variant.

So would have thought there would be something to be able to select the labels variants I have already defined in the EDLT.

Any guidance/assistance would be appreciated.

Ashley W, Jan 2, 2016
  2. Ashley W

Roosta

Hey Ashley W.. I too have limited experience with the eDLT, however i would treat it similar to a DLt and use the logic code line you have above and put it in a simple statement, i have done this many times before for updating dlt and touchscreen labels..

Ie

Once sensor disable is on then
    Setdlt variant 1 text to 'sensor is disabled'

Once Sensor disable is off then
    Setdlt variant 1 text to 'sensor is enabled'

Or something to that effect..

I have even previously used this same logic philosophy for temp displays on dlts..

When it comes to label variants, i was alway under the impression that there was multiples to be used on each group address/dlt/touchscreen so you could hyperthetically have the same group on multiple switches with different labels show.. Ie using a single group to trigger 4 scenes off a dlt.. Set each switch to preset with respective ga levels, with variant 1 through to 4 and have a different label for each.. Otherwise you would have the same label down the swtich even though it was for different functions..

Roosta, Jan 2, 2016
  3. Ashley W

Brendan Rogers

Home Automation eDLT PIR enable label.

For this particular application, a simple and more robust (relying upon fewer components to function) approach may be to:
    1. Statically label the PIR enable/disable button as "SensorEnable", and
    2. Use a large dynamic icon to the left of this label that displays a large Tick when on, and a large Cross when off.

Brendan Rogers, Jan 2, 2016
  4. Ashley W

Ashley W

Thanks and Thanks Roosta for your advice above.

Must admit the tick method is where I started and is what I plan to use, but thought I would try to be a little bit more fancy on a simple 'problem' so as to learn how to use these things. Most of the time I can nut things out myself (it is how I learnt how to program HomeMinder and C bus in the first place), but this time I am stumped.

These EDLTS look pretty powerful, but frankly the help files are very confusing. Clearly written by someone who knows what they are talking about aimed at someone who knows what they are talking about.

But still begs the question how do you use and select label variants?

Ashley W, Jan 2, 2016
  5. Ashley W

NickD Moderator

Hi Ashley.

The label "variants" have been around since the original DLT, but they are not intended to be used as you describe, so that's not how they work.

The original intent of the different label "variants" is for where you have 2 (or more) keys on the same switch controlling the same group address, but which have different functions (like dim up and dim down).. so you need to apply more than one label to a given group.

The variant of label that is applied to a button is set by configuration, and is not therefore not dynamic.. For example you set Variant 1 to "Up" and Variant 2 to "Down", then set the up key to display variant 1 and the down key to display variant 2.

The idea of changing the label variant displayed on a single key according to state is an interesting one... might have to give that some thought for a future firmware release but I can't promise anything.

For now, the only way to achieve what you want is to use the logic to broadcast a new label when the state changes.

Nick

NickD, Jan 11, 2016
  6. Ashley W

Wonkey

Try this as an option:
    Use the Fancontrol widget instead of the Lighting widget.
    Set as 1 speed
    Label type 'Static text' Label 'PIR at present is'
    Off Status label 'Disabled'
    High status label 'Enabled'

Wonkey, Jan 11, 2016
  7. Ashley W

Ashley W

Thanks Nick, that makes sense now.

And Wonky, might give you solution a try just to see what happens at the least.

In my case the tick method mentioned above suffices, as mentioned thought they worked slightly differently to the way they do, and was just playing around to learn them a bit better.

Ashley W, Jan 11, 2016
  8. Ashley W

Wonkey

Forgot to mention it looks a little better if you change the eDLT Label/Icons to Large status text, found at the bottom right of the Key Settings tab

Wonkey, Jan 12, 2016
Ask a Question