eDLT Icon wish list

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by NickD, Jul 2, 2020.

1. NickD

NickD Moderator

Hi All,

We're going to be doing some work on the eDLT firmware soon, and will probably be adding some new icons as part of it.

While we're at it.. we may have an opportunity to add a few more.

If you have suggestions or requests.. please add them below.

There are no guarantees any or all of the suggestions will get done, but if it's possible, we'll do as much as we can.

Thanks,

Nick

NickD, Jul 2, 2020
  2. NickD

Pie Boy

Not related to icons but,
    Is it possible to implement an separate group address to control the led For each button on the edlt, separating it from the control group address?
    Example of use would be,
    Garage door on relay Chanel
    Garage door reed switch/input on 5504Aux
    Edlt set as bell press to operate the garage door, it would be ideal to have the Feedback from the door reed operate the led associated with the edlt control and make the led follow the state of the door as a visual indication.

Pie Boy, Jul 2, 2020
  3. NickD

NickD Moderator

Hi,

I'll pass on the suggestion, but it's unlikely. You could possibly use the quick status feature on the page key to do this already.. if it's just one channel you need.

Nick

NickD, Jul 3, 2020
    JasonY00 likes this.
  4. NickD

JasonY00

Dear Nick,

I am not sure what kind of on board memory you have available in a eDLT, how it is managed or the resolution (I guess its monochrome so contrasting is important)

May I suggest some icons related to heating. i.e. floor heating, towel rail, fireplace?. Perhaps some access related icons that can used with with a switch option. Door, Gate, Garage Door, Window, Skylight.

I note that Irrigation is absent, but not sure if its used much.

Also, is it possible to have some more options for lighting. i.e. a lamp icon or several other icons to assist in helping a user identify a lighting option.

I have included a couple of screen captures from my phone with icon options from homekit. Each of these have an On/OFF or OPEN/CLOSED version. Perhaps this can help provide some inspiration...

Similar looking icons to mainstream off the shelf portable device icons also make end users more comfortable with the interface (without infringing copyright of course).

Thanks for canvassing for input. I highly value an option like this to provide such feedback. More interface icons makes your products much more attractive to end users who are dazzled by cute little icons ;). It sounds trivial, but consumers are not interested in any of the technical jargon. As you well know, they want something that makes them feel "warm and fuzzy" and that they can show off to others...

Kind regards

Jason

Blinds & Awning.PNG Doors & Gates.PNG Lights.PNG Windws & Skylight.PNG

JasonY00, Jul 3, 2020
    ben addison likes this.
  5. NickD

NickD Moderator

The icons are 32x32, 1bpp. This is the biggest issue... it's not a lot to work with!

A few of those exist already... although given they're only 32x32, perhaps you could be forgiven for not recognising them.

Nick

NickD, Jul 3, 2020
  6. NickD

JasonY00

One more thing. Am I missing something obvious or is Trigger Control noticeably absent from the Widget list?

Forgive me if I sound stupid, but I haven't programmed one of these yet but have ordered 20 of them to replace my old Saturn switches where the paint is peeling off the back of the fascia and I want more functionality.

Trigger Control.png

JasonY00, Jul 3, 2020
  7. NickD

JasonY00

Thanks Nick,

I was looking through the options. 32x32 monochrome does make it hard for you and I think you guys have done a stellar job to date!

Will keep thinking...

Given that Clipsal now only have the Ethernet Touch Screen (and old Mk II B&W) it is going to be very common that the only wall mounted graphical interface in most installs is going to be one or more of these eDLT's. Without stating the obvious, the more versatile these things are w.r.t. icon customising the better. (Before anyone points it out, I didn't forget the Wiser app and my caveat is "wall mounted clipsal hardware")

Perhaps a future Mk II eDLT may have a colour LCD? I would wait for those...:)

Cheers

Jason

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    JasonY00, Jul 3, 2020
  8. NickD

JasonY00

I too have 6 Aux Input units and a 4ch Bus Coupler plus my Concept Panel that has some door REX/State. Integrated Open/Close - Status feedback like pieman has suggested above would be great for more than one channel.

JasonY00, Jul 3, 2020
  9. NickD

NickD Moderator

The Scene Widget handles that. If you just want to send a trigger, create an empty scene.

Note that the eDLT requires 32mA where the Saturns would have been 22mA... so you'll need 200mA more power supply capacity available than previously.. Also, the eDLT impedance is lower, so make sure all your power supplies are correctly accounted for and check your network impedance calculation in Toolkit.

Nick

NickD, Jul 3, 2020
  10. NickD

JasonY00

Thanks Nick for all of the above. You are the Oracle!

Enable Control is easily accessible as a widget. Not sure if its possible, but having Trigger Control there would also be nice.

I say this because I use a NIRT and have "taught" my remotes to it with each button assigned to an Action Selector in a group address in the Trigger Control application.

e.g. Foxtel is Trigger Application GA 1, Play is Action Selector 10. The NIRT then spits out the associated IR code when this is set.

So I'm only setting a GA to a level between 0-255 just like a lighting GA. I did this for my AV equipment and also my Velux Skylights that I only had IR control as an option. THis provided skylight window and blind O/S/C control.

Although not a lot of extra work, creating a scene for this function seems like the long way around when it could be in the drop down widget list with the other applications. (perhaps it was done this way to conserve memory?).

Maybe, I'm just being difficult...sorry.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    JasonY00, Jul 3, 2020
  11. NickD

MarkB

Ony one way to fix that. eDLT2 with better resolution! :)

MarkB, Jul 4, 2020
  12. NickD

chromus

Awning roofs are pretty big on my clients builds atm, the icon can be as simple as the blinds/shutters icon but rotated 90 degrees.

Thermostat icon with an icon that looks like a needle style VU meter would be nice too.

chromus, Jul 5, 2020
    NickD likes this.
  13. NickD

JasonY00

Hi Nick,

I have been playing with the eDLT status page settings and Iwas wondering if this page could incorporate a free text field and a GA Status field with the future firmware upgrade. The current options for the status page display are: Blank, HVAC, Measurement & Date/Time.

I say this for the following reasons:

(a) Free Text Field:
    It would be nice to be able to set a default message on the switch, for guestrooms, AirBnB's etc.
    e.g. "Welcome to..." or a contact number for help. i.e. Call XXX for ??? (over two lines). Or even a "time-of-day" based message. e.g. "Good Morning"

(b) GA Status:
    May I also add the following scenario as an example:
    1. An alarm is defined in a C-Touch or other logic unit as a schedule.
    2. The Enable option for this alarm schedule can be set from the eDLT switch.
    3. The Standby page of the eDLT displays something like "7:00AM Alarm enabled"
    4. At 7:00AM a scene is triggered that slowly dims the bedside light on at 7:00AM

Therefore, the standby page of the eDLT has the option of also displaying a "state" of a C-Bus GA. In the above example, an "Enable Control" GA which can be seen by the user at any time without touching the switch.

Cheers

Jason

JasonY00, Jul 13, 2020
  14. NickD

NickD Moderator

HI Jason,

Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate the enthusiasm.

Can I ask though that you start a new thread for these, since this thread was specifically asking for ideas for new icons.

Whilst we are going to be updating firmware, we have a huge list of ideas ourselves (your suggestions are already on the list BTW), and we are limited in the amount we can do (new features are usually relatively easy to implement in firmware, but each one requires much more effort to test, support in software, documentation, training etc), so I can't promise anything other than adding them new ideas to the list.

Thanks,

Nick

NickD, Jul 16, 2020
  15. NickD

JasonY00

Hi Nick,

thank you for the reply. I appreciate your task ahead, wringing as many features as possible out of the on board memory available along with being able to facilitate the programming over the c-bus network! I find it all very impressive.:)

Most of all, thanks for the opportunity to provide input into the next iteration of the firmware. Looking forward to its release...

Sorry to go a little off track with my excitement.

Cheers

Jason

JasonY00, Jul 16, 2020
  16. NickD

chromus

@NickD u could send Jason and I a unit each to thrash the testing on. Just sayin.

chromus, Jul 16, 2020
    JasonY00 likes this.
  17. NickD

Ks04

I'd love a flame icon for use as a heater

Ks04, Jul 17, 2020
Ask a Question