eDLT button delamination

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by GlenF, Jul 14, 2015.

1. GlenF

GlenF

Hi all,

Just checking if anyone has been having any issues with the buttons on the eDLTs? I have two and both are out of the sun. Initially the dot in the middle of the button fell off two of these and now one has the rest of the white laminate cracking. I assume I can return to Clipsal but just checking if is just mine that this is occurring to. Does anyone know if you can just get a new button ?

Thanks
    glen

GlenF, Jul 14, 2015
  2. GlenF

lcrowhurst

Yes had a couple of switches with cracking , peeling paint on the buttons, they looked like they had been spray painted by a 2 year old

lcrowhurst, Jul 14, 2015
  3. GlenF

theboyg

Same here. Reported in January this year, no fix yet. I have more than one unit exhibiting this issue.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2015
    theboyg, Jul 14, 2015
  4. GlenF

conor1

Thanks for the info I have 3 large projects I'm working on were I was thinking of using the new edlt , might think again and keep using DLT until fixed !

conor1, Jul 15, 2015
  5. GlenF

bmerrick

Hi Conor,

You could think like that, but i would suggest to you that you would be doing your clients a great dis-service. In my opinion, the eDLT are five times better than DLT and don't cost anywhere near five times the price, so are great value too.

At the end of the day, paint is just paint and Clipsal are resolving the small percentage that have issues that they have communicated to the channel. Less than 3% of the units I have installed have had paint chipping issues.

The eDLT are very sophisticated and almost like mini-touch screens. Don't leave your client with near ten year old DLTs when they are paying top dollar and deserve the best.

Just my opinion,

Brad

bmerrick, Jul 16, 2015
  6. GlenF

Bullpit

Hi Guys,
    The advantages of the eDLT outweigh the small possibility of getting any of the remaining units with the paint issue, IMHO.
    Also Clipsal have previously supplied replacement buttons and top and bottom screw covers on a couple that I've had a problem with - takes less than a minute to replace.

Only other problem I've experienced with eDLT's is a Toolkit crash with large numbers of these units on a network. Toolkit updates have improved this situation, but not yet eliminated it on large networks, so on occasion I've had to drop some eDLTs off the network while programming and reconnect later.

The GUI changes are not to everyone's liking but, like everything, you learn to adapt !

Good Luck - that's my two bobs worth !! Cheers. :)

Bullpit, Jul 16, 2015
  7. GlenF

theboyg

I have to add, the majority of my eDLTs are fine. They are a great device, and well worth an upgrade from the DLT.

Now, if only Clipsal would update the standard Saturns to match the style

theboyg, Jul 16, 2015
  8. GlenF

Ashley W

Have just ordered some Zen eDLT's (well hopefully I have, my local L&H has a price and says they can be ordered). So hopefully these don't have the same issue as the other EDLT's.

Ashley W, Jul 16, 2015
  9. GlenF

TheGuru

If any of you guys have had the paint cracking or peeling on buttons or end caps you should contact your local Clipsal rep to get replacements.
    I've had to do a couple of times, turn around is normally pretty reasonable.

TheGuru, Jul 17, 2015
  10. GlenF

conor1

Thanks .

Hi Brad,

Will definitely reconsider after your response .

Cheers
    Conor

conor1, Jul 17, 2015
  11. GlenF

theboyg

Over 6 months I've been waiting. Perhaps you were lucky.

theboyg, Jul 18, 2015
  12. GlenF

paulsxt302

I have the same problem and just received new buttons. How are these buttons changed? Do I need to pull the switch apart to replace the buttons?

Regards
    Paul

paulsxt302, Mar 22, 2017
  13. GlenF

bmerrick

Hi Paul,

Yes, you need to carefully pull the switch apart (using the clips on the back face and around the edge) and then the buttons are reasonably easy to separate from their centre spline mounts with some gentle pressure from the back of each button that needs changing.

A jeweller's flat blade screwdriver is a good tool for the whole job, but some 'handiness' is also required. If it looks daunting, send it back to your supplier rather than break it.

I'm sure you'll do fine,

Brad

bmerrick, Mar 22, 2017
  14. GlenF

paulsxt302

Thanks for the info Brad. I'll give it a whirl.

Regards
    Paul S

paulsxt302, Mar 23, 2017
Ask a Question