Edlt & Bus Coupler

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by fatso, Jan 30, 2018.

1. fatso

fatso

Hi, i have a couple of questions regarding an install.
    1, On the Edlt is it possible to get scrolling text as some of the names are too long?
    2, Ive installed a bus coupler and its the first time i have used them so am not to clued with them, i have a standard light switch by the front door and one by the top of the stairs i want to activate an all off scene, Welcome and bedtime from these switches, i have setup the scenes in the edlt, so im looking to setup the trigger control in the buscoupler to activate these scenes but cant seem to do it.

Many thanks

fatso, Jan 30, 2018
  2. fatso

Ashley

To get the bus coupler to trigger scenes:

On the unit identification page set the application to Trigger Control. Then for each input select the appropriate trigger group. For the function select Preset 1, click on the dots that appear beside the drop down and then select the action selector from the list.

Note that the leads on the bus coupler can be a maximum of 1 meter long, so using a single bus coupler for the front door and top of the stairs is not possible.

Ashley, Jan 30, 2018
  3. fatso

NickD Moderator

This is not really a good way to trigger scenes (in older units it was however the only way), because it results in the unit trying to initiate MMIs on the Trigger application, which is just a waste of network bandwidth.

Newer units support creation of remote scene triggers (which are really just empty scenes), which is the "right" way to do this. Just select the key function as "Scene" and select the Trigger group and Action Selectors corresponding to the scenes in the eDLT, and then leave the scene itself empty.

The only restriction here is that all the scenes have to have the same trigger group.

Nick

NickD, Jan 31, 2018
  4. fatso

NickD Moderator

No, it doesn't currently support this.

It does let you select the smaller font for the label though, which would give you more space. This is a global setting for each switch, so all the widgets will be like this is you select this option.

It's on the "Key Settings" tab in the bottom left corner.. you can select "Large Label Text" or "Large Status Text".. whichever one you select, the other will use the smaller font.

Nick

NickD, Jan 31, 2018
  5. fatso

Ashley

Good point. I forgot about the newer bus coupler with scene capability. Shows how long since I have used them :)

I guess we need to know which version of the bus coupler is in question here.

I do find this a serious limitation. Particularly since the fan controller requires its use. One fan per switch and no scenes. Someone didn't think this through :(

Ashley, Jan 31, 2018
  6. fatso

NickD Moderator

Easy to say in hindsight.

The use of the trigger application has evolved since it was first used for scenes. Back then the thinking was that scenes in one switch would be for one area, in which case they would be mutually exclusive, so a single trigger group would be enough.

In the case of the fan controller, making it work within the limitations of existing key units was a constraint, as well as wanting to offer labelling support, and keeping multiple switches and fan controllers in sync. You can still have scenes btw, but you would just break the scene indication.

The eDLT has no such restrictions.. but then that's too "brain dead" for some.

Nick

NickD, Jan 31, 2018
  7. fatso

fatso

Cheers for the help guys appreciate it. Regards the maximum cable length being 1 meter, what makes it restricted to this? surely not the resistance?

fatso, Feb 6, 2018
  8. fatso

Ashley

The bus coupler has no isolation from the cbus network so longer cables can pick up noise and interfere with it's operation. If you need long cables use the auxiliary input module.

Ashley, Feb 6, 2018
Ask a Question