Dynamic Label Update

Discussion in 'Multi-Room Audio (MRA) and MARPA' started by Thomas, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Thomas

Thomas

Hi there,

I am wondering if there is a need to cycle (switch off, and back on) a Matrix switcher after updating dynamic label settings.:confused:
    It would appear that this is not happening automatically, or perhaps it takes a while. If it takes some time, does anyone know how much time would be required?

Cheers
    Thomas

Thomas, Mar 16, 2007
  2. Thomas

Richo

I think the matrix switcher will send the labels only when the source is changed for a zone. So if a zone is one source 1 and you update the labels for source 1 you would need to switch the zone to a different source and back again to get it to update.

Richo, Mar 17, 2007
  3. Thomas

Conformist

Is there any 'wear and tear' on the DLT every time the label changes (ie writes to the unit's eprom?

Cheers

Conformist, Mar 17, 2007
  4. Thomas

Thomas

Richo,
    thanks for your reply. I have tried this at the time, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. As I did not want to spend excessive time waiting for the system to possibly update the labels, I reset the Switcher, which gave the desired results.
    But besides the original query, I am wondering what happens in case of a power failure in general, and also if the C-Bus system is switched off, while the Sound side is left on. How would the system recover in terms of the labels?

Thomas, Mar 18, 2007
  5. Thomas

ashleigh Moderator

YES!

Each update will cause a write to non-volatile memory. You have approx 100,000 cycles, so periodic updates are fine. Using labels for something like the temperature display of an a/c system (with the expected regular and frequent updates) is not a good thing to do, though.

ashleigh, Mar 18, 2007
  6. Thomas

2SC

You should now that this is a common feature for many KNX switches and Clipsal does not have still a thermostat ... :(

2SC, Mar 18, 2007
  7. Thomas

ashleigh Moderator

Thermostat is coming very soon. I know its been promised for a long time, its a big job, but its nearly there.

A temperature display is very different to updating a label. It's something to consider for future switches / devices, but in that case the information would not be written to non-volatile memory, it would just be displayed. There is no point in retaining the last known temperature across power cycles :)

ashleigh, Mar 18, 2007
Ask a Question