Dynamic button DLT function

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by nickrusanov, Sep 15, 2006.

1. nickrusanov

nickrusanov

Is it possible to make "dynamic" DLT button, pressing which on 1-st page will affect 2-nd page functions?

Or is it only multiroom function? How does it work?

Thank you!

nickrusanov, Sep 15, 2006
  2. nickrusanov

Newman

As with any C-Bus switch you can assign a key to multiple blocks/groups. Those blocks can be used on either page. That way the actions from that key are applied to multiple groups at once. Is this what you want to do?

Newman, Sep 15, 2006
  3. nickrusanov

nickrusanov

No. If you see MultiRoomAudio Amplifier UsersGuide2.pdf , page 8, you will understand what I mean by dynamic button. You select another source on page 1, 2 buttons on 2-nd page change.

Questions are:
    1. may it work without multiroom?
    2. may all 4 buttons function as dynamic, not 2?

Thank you!

nickrusanov, Sep 15, 2006
  4. nickrusanov

Ashley W

The DLT is only dynamic with it's labeling and even then that is a stetch of the english language, because once you program it, it is set. By that the DLT is not much more than a 8 button switch which has scene capability and an LCD screen which can shows the button name. The screen only changes from page to page.

If I understand you correctly you want something where if, for example you press button one it brings up a second screen with additional options etc. Pressing button two will bring up a different screen with different options etc? Is that correct? If so would agree it would be very useful and make the DLT truly dynamic. So too would the ability to have more than two pages, I have an application where I would want to do dynamic key selection, or at the very least about 5 pages (20 buttons) worth of functions. I guess kind of a poor mans touch screen.

Ashley W, Sep 17, 2006
  5. nickrusanov

lcrowhurst

Dynamic DLT

A while back I wrote a little app for a client , which dynamically changed the DLT display. The app monitored a set of groups, and then depending of the value of the groups changed the DLT display. So technically it is possible to do what you are looking for, however the app needs to run on a pc, connected to the CBus.

A the Cedia show this year one of the CIS guys mentioned that they are looking at allowing a PAC or a Touch screen to write to a DLT - not sure of the time scale.

If you want more information email me at [email protected]

lcrowhurst, Sep 17, 2006
  6. nickrusanov

ashleigh Moderator

The DLT switch permits the labels to be changed at any time, using a bus message.

The thing that generates the bus message is up to the user... CIS have all sorts of future plans for supporting DLT with truly DYNAMIC labels, and a future release of PAC, PICED, CTC, etc will help to deliver on that.

Right now there is very little software available that will dynamically re-label the buttons. C-Bus Enabled members have had access to the documentation that permits this for at least 12 months, so its reasonable to expect CIS and 3rd party support at some future time.

ashleigh, Sep 17, 2006
  7. nickrusanov

Mr Mark

DLT Labelling

As Ashleigh says, this can be done. We have a few projects running now with the labels being updated by logic from the PAC. The advantage of using the PAC over the c-bus windows is there is NO requirement for a PC to be up and running on site.
    Time permitting, I'm trying to write up how to do this one (to quote a manufacturer we know - it's coming! :) )

Mark

Sorry, typo there! Should read NO requirement for a PC.....

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2006
    Mr Mark, Sep 17, 2006
  8. nickrusanov

Ashley W

So can these controls also alter the functions of each button or is it just the label that changes?

Ashley W, Sep 18, 2006
  9. nickrusanov

Mr Mark

Logically speaking...

Ashley,
    You could get the buttons to control different groups on page two when changing a condition on page 1. Playing with some logic would get you where you want to be. :)

Mark

Mr Mark, Sep 18, 2006
  10. nickrusanov

wanricky

It really sounds like a trim-down touch screen with less memory and functions.:eek:

wanricky, Sep 19, 2006
  11. nickrusanov

filpee

Does anyone have a copy of the commands needed to do this? I have a PAC and a DLT and would love to be able to control it in this way.

filpee, Mar 1, 2007
  12. nickrusanov

Duncan

I could be wrong.. but I think as part of the C-Bus Enabled Program you would have access to the commands required for broadcasting labels over the network.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2007
    Duncan, Mar 1, 2007
  13. nickrusanov

brucew

So out of interest is their anyway for a mere home tinkerer to get access to the appropriate commands.

Cheers,

Bruce

brucew, Mar 1, 2007
  14. nickrusanov

Richo

From a PC use C-Gate ( http://www2.clipsal.com/cis/technical/downloads/developer_tools#Cgatedoco ) or download C-Bus Driver ( http://www2.clipsal.com/cis/technical/downloads/developer_tools#CBusWinDriver ).

Write your own implementation of C-Bus Protocol:

http://www.cbus-enabled.com/cbus-open-b-light.htm
    (no cost)

Can't remember if the "open" protocol contains DLT commands or not. To do this with a PAC I think you need to connect the serial port to a PCI, can someone confirm if this is the case.

Richo, Mar 1, 2007
  15. nickrusanov

Mr Mark

This info doesn't come with the Public Release Document unfortunately.
    Although it is possible to use the info in this document coupled with the c-gate manual mixed with some good luck to achieve this! (maybe throw in some Guiness).

A PAC coupled to a PCI will do this - don't forget to power up the PAC.

Mark

Mr Mark, Mar 1, 2007
  16. nickrusanov

fleetz

Hi Ashleigh,

Bring on the "Dynamic" in the DLT the current method of labelling in Toolkit is very clunky. Indeed a PITA when you are doing 22 of them as I am at the moment. I hope labelling within Toolkit is a more integrated in the not distant future.

Any plans in the forseable?

Cheers,

Fleetz

fleetz, Mar 2, 2007
  17. nickrusanov

ashleigh Moderator

It is on the list of scheduled improvements.

Unfortunately so are about 230 other requests for new features and they all compete :(

ashleigh, Mar 2, 2007
  18. nickrusanov

fleetz

Hi Ashleigh,

Fully understand your pressures....230 should see you up to date by end of next week:)

Seriously I have just spent 3 hours trying to get my head around the labeling on the DLT's at best it clunky (see my previous post) and at worst it is shocking. Given the DLT appears to be the flag ship key input unit releasing it to the market with the current Toolkit interface is an interesting CIS decision. The ender user doesn't know doesn't care but the poor bugger that has to program them up.

I have found the process not at all intuitive and doesn't appear logical.....it may well be me. The thought of programming up 22 of them has me shaken in the fetal position and sucking my thumb! :eek:

My two cent and I am now off my soap box!:)

Nice to have a forum that is open and well connected in which to convey the message.

Cheers,

Fleetz

fleetz, Mar 2, 2007
  19. nickrusanov

Richo

I think engineering agree with all your observations. Except the first regarding completing 230 new features by next week :)

Richo, Mar 2, 2007
  20. nickrusanov

ashleigh Moderator

If you use the default labelling function in Toolkit it will use the Tag Names to make the default labels. The label will therefore have the same text as the group's tag.

For example, create your project, and groups, and operations on your switches. Use tag names that are close to what you would like the text to be.

Once you have all that set to your satisfaction, then open the Applications node in the tree view, select the lighting application you used, then select groups. You will see a DLT Labels button.

With that you can change or tailor the text for the label to be used for each group, if you want the text to be different to the tag name.

When you apply the changes to the text (for a group), all switches will be updated at the same time.

This avoids the need to label each button of each switch, which is pretty slow and tedious.

(Trouble is the "DLT Labels" button is buried in an obscure place.)

The beauty of DLT is that when you label a single group, every switch on the network with that group in it will take the label command and apply it to that group at the same time.

This is, of course, provided you have not turned the dynamic labelling function off. If you did that, then you have to statically label the buttons on each unit one at a time, using the Unit GUI.

ashleigh, Mar 3, 2007
Ask a Question