Download to Nirt gets stuck

Discussion in 'Infrared (NIRT, IR Reader) and CIRCA' started by Infolink, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Infolink

Infolink

Hi There

I'm using Circa Ver 2.4.0 and Toolkit 1.7.2

I've created groups in my project, learned the IR code in for my test DVD (this is my first time) and opened my Toolkit project in Circa. When I attempt to download to the Nirt, I get just one progress bar, progress shows about 36% of IR data and 1% Nirt capacity (or something to that effect) and then... the PC just hangs right there, the program won't close or respond to Ctrl+Alt+Del and I have to 'hard shutdown' to start again and get to the same problem.

I'm using the HS Programming Cable (PCMCIA to RS232 to Nirt cable) and since I only have one port on my PC the procedure goes something like this... Keep Toolkit and C-gate open, remove cable to PC interface (COM1) and connect to download cable (keeping it on COM1, although COM11 (?) has come up time and again)

I hope this description gives you guys a basis to think from. I'm not sure if it's a cross compatibility problem with the programs or my COM port, or something else?

Would appreciate any asistance.

Regards

Richard

Infolink, Oct 20, 2007
  2. Infolink

53hdt

Hi,

Have you closed your network in toolkit?

53hdt, Oct 21, 2007
  3. Infolink

Infolink

Yes, I have tried it with network open and network closed - doesn't seem to make a difference. There's also a weird thing going on (pls bear in mind we haven't had training on this...) when I attach my cable to the Nirt (with the Nirt powered by the Bus) all the lights come on to 100% in my programming studio and go to 0% when I pull the cable out.

I was also wondering which way the programming cable fits into the Nirt - don't know which is the right way around or whether it's back to front - is polarity an issue?

Since I posted I saw that there was a similar post in same connection and am now going to hook it up to my main PC (just have to source a male serial adaptor).

Thanks

Richard

Infolink, Oct 22, 2007
  4. Infolink

Newman

The silver pins of the programming cable go towards the back of the unit. Have you tried shutting Toolkit/C-Gate down completely and then opening Circa to download your project? Note that the NIRT needs to be powered from C-Bus to be able to download.

Newman, Oct 22, 2007
  5. Infolink

Infolink

Follow up

Hi Newman

Can I ask? When I attach the download cable to the Nirt, and the Nirt is connected to the BUS, why do all the lights on the dimmers come on?

Is this normal?

I'm busy moving this project to my stand alone PC for pure serial out and hope to report success with the download.

Regards

Richard

Infolink, Oct 30, 2007
  6. Infolink

Newman

Having the downlaod cable turn on the outputs of your dimmers sounds totally bizzare. I haven't encountered this and I can't think of a mechanism that would allow this to occur either.

The only thing that would make the dimmer turn on all of it's outputs would be for there to be some kind of connection made to the remote overrie lines of the Cat5 cable. Are you sure there's not a chance that when turning the unit over to connect the programming cable the bare ends of the unused pairs in the cat5 cable are accidentally touching together?

Newman, Oct 31, 2007
  7. Infolink

Infolink

Hi Newman

I've made my bus connection on the 2nd available RJ45 on the dimmer, but will now attach to the bus via a hard wired connection and report back.

When I open my project though, the voltage is at 32.6 abouts and no shorts or anomalies are reported. I saw in the booklet it says that when the BUS and HS cable are attached simultaneously there is an effective ground that occurs and warn against possible difficulties.

Let me get my bus sorted out and I'll report back.

R

Infolink, Nov 4, 2007
  8. Infolink

Infolink

Hi Newman

The BUS is sorted out - took off the RJ45 and did a raw cable conection - lights stay off, but still not downloading to the Nirt VIA the PCMCIA - RS232C card that was supplied to me by Clipsal SA - he swears it has worked with everyone else???

Another clue here is that I can test IR (in Circa) via the NIRT and it works fine - just won't download?

Cheers

Richard

Infolink, Nov 4, 2007
  9. Infolink

Newman

If you can test successfully using Circa 2.4.0 but you can't download then that suggests that there's something funny going on in Circa. I'd suggest that you try contacting Tech Support and send them your project.

As a test, can you install Circa 1.1 (Requires V2 software) and check to see if you can successfully download/test using that?

Newman, Nov 5, 2007
  10. Infolink

Infolink

Hi Newman

When you say use Ver 2 software, are you talking about C-Gate?

I've tried using Circa 1.1 but it won't even open from Winzip. I dunno???

Infolink, Nov 8, 2007
  11. Infolink

Infolink

Working now...

Hi Newman

TG it's working, but from my PC - there must be a compatibility issue with the laptop PCMCIA combination. I've got pure serial coming out of the PC and it's flying.

Cheers, thanks

Richard;)

Infolink, Nov 12, 2007
  12. Infolink

Newman

Good news!

Regarding the V2 software, I was referring to the old C-Bus Installation software which is what we all used to program C-Bus before Toolkit came along. It's still available for download from the CIS website.

Newman, Nov 13, 2007
Ask a Question