Download Speed

Discussion in 'Infrared (NIRT, IR Reader) and CIRCA' started by syoule, Oct 17, 2006.

1. syoule

syoule

Hi,

I have read the other posts regarding download speeds to the nirt using laptops. I have since tried with 2 different desktops with the same result - downloads take around 20-40 minutes. We use a 5500CN, is there anyway to download to the nirt using the 5500CN? If this option is not available, what else can I try to speed up the downloads and make the nirt work?

Regards,

Steve

syoule, Oct 17, 2006
  2. syoule

Richo

Hi Steve,

Are you using Circa V2? After the initial download (which may still be slow) I'm hoping subsequent downloads would be much faster (a few minutes only). This is assuming that you are NOT using USB, that will always be slow with the current cable.

If you still experience slow downloads let me know the specification of your hardware:

CPU Speed,
    Memory,
    Version of Windows,
    Desktop or Laptop,
    Make and Model,
    Type of Comport (inbuilt, PCMCIA, etc..)

We do have a solution coming to the unnecessarily difficulties of downloading to a Nirt, but I can't say much about it yet.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2006
    Richo, Oct 18, 2006
  3. syoule

syoule

Hi Richo,

Thanks for your reply. I am using straight serial. The main computer is a P4 D 3.4Ghz, 1Gb ram, Windows XP home, onboard serial, no brand.

I have downloaded to the nirt, changed 1 thing and downloaded again which took the same time + 20mins.

Regards,

Steve

syoule, Oct 18, 2006
  4. syoule

Richo

Hmmm.... try unplugging the Nirt from C-Bus, wait 10 seconds and plug back in. With Circa v2 I thought I had finally found and fixed this extended download problem than was so hard to reproduce in the past. You are definately using Circa V2 right?

Richo, Oct 18, 2006
  5. syoule

syoule

Hi Richo.

Definatley using version 2.2.0 of circa. Have left it unplugged from cbus all last night, plugged it back in this morning, tried again with + 20 min downloads. The electrician connected the nirt into the "connection" of the 5500CN which the connects directly back to our cbus switchboard, both lights are on and I can see it in the toolkit so not sure what else is causing the problem.

Regards,

Steve

syoule, Oct 18, 2006
  6. syoule

syoule

Not sure if this will help but I noticed on both computers, when I try and download to the nirt, the computers cpu max's out at 100% with 97%-99% going to circa.exe. Tried to run in compatibility mode, disable visual themes, etc but same + 20 mins to download. Also, after it eventually finishes and says "Download complete", when I test the nirt nothing works so I guess in my case the download is not working at all.

syoule, Oct 18, 2006
  7. syoule

Richo

High CPU load is normal during a download. It tries really hard to get the data in there as quick as possible.

Does using the "test" button on a command from Circa whilst connected result in the correct IR being transmitted?

Have you tried a second Nirt unit?

Richo, Oct 19, 2006
  8. syoule

Newman

It might seem a bit obvious, but is the cable plugged in the right way to the NIRT? If it's not working after the download and takes this long then I have seen cases where it was because the cable was plugged in backwards. The silver shiny pins should be to the back of the unit.

Newman, Oct 19, 2006
  9. syoule

syoule

The test button also takes around 3-5 minutes and nothing happens when it's done. Don't have another nirt to try :(

syoule, Oct 19, 2006
  10. syoule

syoule

Hi newman,

tried both ways, when it's the wrong way I get "unable to communicate with the nirt" when it's the right way I dont get any errors but just takes ages. I'll try with another computer tonight (lucky I own a computer shop!) and see if that has the same issues.

syoule, Oct 19, 2006
  11. syoule

Richo

Not much more I can suggest to try. You should probably contact Tech Support and see if they have any ideas, or at least they will know what you need to do to replace the Nirt if you have trouble with another computer.

Richo, Oct 19, 2006
  12. syoule

zip_cool

FIY: never try to extend the 5500CN cable, cause the max lenght is 1 meter only.:D

zip_cool, Oct 19, 2006
  13. syoule

Newman

You mean the 5100HSC cable? It should not be extended.

Newman, Oct 19, 2006
  14. syoule

zip_cool

yup, whatever the code they give.. :p

zip_cool, Oct 19, 2006
  15. syoule

NickD Moderator

Lol.... is that how you order stuff? You must like surprises :)

No offense intended, but there's a big difference between a 5500CN (DIN Rail C-Bus Ethernet Interface) and a 5100HSC ("High Speed" Download Cable for 5034NIRT)!

Nick

NickD, Oct 19, 2006
  16. syoule

Richo

Cough

Richo, Oct 20, 2006
  17. syoule

syoule

Working

Hi Guys,

I got it working using another computer and moving the nirt closer to the compter :) I only have a stereo 3.5mm lead, will this work? or does it have to be a mono lead.

I was told I could plug the 3.5mm lead from the IR1 of the Nirt to the IR of the 8073/8VHPIR and this would send out the IR codes to the 8074VMPIR and then onto my equipment - is this correct? Also, can I set a button on my remote to trigger a scene to turn off the lights, drop down my projector & turn on the equipment? I have setup the scene in Homegate but can't work out how to trigger it from the remote or if I need any additional leads from the Nirt?

Regards,

Steve

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2006
    syoule, Oct 23, 2006
Ask a Question