Do I need a PAC controller... or just stay with the 7" mk2 b/w screen

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by impact, May 13, 2008.

1. impact

impact

Getting closer to actually playing with it for real... I started running the pink Cbus cable around the house today - Yipppeee.... it was a great feeling to finally start on something...

(Mind you it will still be weeks away before any power gets applied - builder still needs to complete upstairs - I just took advantage of some cavity space before it got fully enclosed in to run some cables...)

Now I always intended to geta PAC controller to do the fancy programming in piced. However, I stupidly bought on ebay a MK2 screen, and its arrived. Always thought I didn't need or want it - but thats what ebay is all about - impulse shopping.

So now I have a touch screen, which I know I can download some piced code to, is there any reason why I would want a PAC controller now ?

I am guessing as the code is the same, it might just come down to memory and how much stuff I might want to write ? Now Im hooked I might even get another screen for upstairs... LOL

So why would I also need the PAC now ?

impact, May 13, 2008
  2. impact

Mr Mark

What model?

Did you get one with or with-out the inbuilt logic engine?

Mr Mark, May 13, 2008
  3. impact

impact

No logic engine - beggars cant be choosers really on bargains. I did think, that maybe I should have got one with the logic engine, couldnt justify it really in my own mind, and the one I got was offered to cheap to try and justify not getting anyway !!!

Maybe this one goes upstairs, and I'll get another with Logic Engine for downstairs ?

impact, May 13, 2008
  4. impact

filpee

I have a PAC but I am left wanting.

The PAC is great for setting up schedules, scenes and logic that you will set and forget. Unfortunately if you are anything like me and love to constantly try new things you will be forever having to lug your laptop over to the PAC to upload the latest version of your code.

The good thing about having a touch panel is that you can use systemIO's to adjust timers and other trigger points in your code without needing to upload any code at all.

Having a touch panel + a PAC is ok but having them combined saves you money :)

filpee, May 14, 2008
  5. impact

Newman

In simple terms, a B&W C-Touch Mk2 with logic is equivalent to a B&W C-Touch Mk2 without logic + a PAC.

If you buy the B&W C-Touch Mk2 with logic then the PAC functionality is built in. If you buy it without logic then you'll need to buy a PAC to be able to do logic programming.

Newman, May 14, 2008
  6. impact

impact

And that is the most simy explanation possible....

Looks like for me (tinkerer) I'll need both.

I never intended to get the touch panel, thought it might have been too geeky (considering I want to control everything eventually through MCML programs running on Vista Media Center... hehehe). But the impulse buy at that price just tipped me over into thinking - yea lets place it next to the fridge!

Still buying a PAC though...

impact, May 14, 2008
  7. impact

ICS-GS

Why not just put the touch panel back on e-bay... you never know, some one may bid more than you paid for it....

ICS-GS, May 27, 2008
Ask a Question