DMX LED strip

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by N.W.B, Jul 20, 2020.

1. N.W.B

N.W.B

Hi all, I want to know your guys opinion’s on DMX LED strip. I have planned for LED strip in a few places for our new build and thought it would be pretty cool to have it RGB. Iv done some study on DMX and it seems pretty straight forward with the C-Bus to DMX module.

Has anyone had much luck with this type of installation? Is this set up reliable ? Are the DMX drivers any good?

Cheers for your help.

N.W.B, Jul 20, 2020
  2. N.W.B

chromus

Why do u want DMX specifically u could just use dimmable LED drivers and dimmers and save a lot of hassle unless u want to do crazy complicated strobing to music or something?

chromus, Jul 20, 2020
  3. N.W.B

N.W.B

Hi Chromus, the main factor leading me towards the DMX set up is to achieve control over RGB type strip light.

N.W.B, Jul 20, 2020
  4. N.W.B

chromus

Strip lights are no different to any other LED setup, u can control each colour with a dimmable driver and put each channel on a dimmer output

chromus, Jul 20, 2020
  5. N.W.B

jboer

I use DMX daily and would recommended it, much cheaper and nicer output than dimmable drivers on a channel each and really reliable. I recommend these DMX drivers, match with a MeanWell supply the same voltage as your strip and you will have something that lasts for years. (As long as your strip is decent quality ;-)) you can get them from a few places but these guys are good:

https://www.optoprojects.com/product-category/controllers/

jboer, Jul 20, 2020
  6. N.W.B

N.W.B

Cheers JBoer, do you do many domestic installs with DMX? I have decided DMX will be the path I go down. I’m now deciding how I will plan the install. I was thinking of having the drivers and power packs in an accessible cabinet then running the cable out to each strip from there. Reason being should anything pack up I don’t have to crawl through the roof space to replace whatever is faulty.

I would presume volt drop maybe an issue but if I size the cable accordingly should eliminate that.

what’re your thoughts?

N.W.B, Jul 21, 2020
  7. N.W.B

jboer

Have done a few, my biggest domestic DMX install is my house though ;-p All my lighting is DMX, mostly downlights. I have my drivers and PSUs in my roofspace mounted on boards on the framing so its up and in free air. If you have the space to put them in the cupboard that is great, you will need to consider V-Drop but yes making sure you run the right size cable will help, just be aware though that you are also potentially switching decent current at high frequency on un-shielded cable and that could cause some EMI issues if your cabling is close to other sensitive stuff (or you have hearing loops ;-) )

A lot of our other installs go into racks mounted on trays. All depends really.

jboer, Jul 22, 2020
  8. N.W.B

Graham Lamb

Have you thought of Dali not as smooth as DMX when dimming and this depends on LED driver brand.
    I have had good results with Dali there is less wiring and may be cheaper depending on installation size.
    Dali will give you 64 channels, 16 Groups, 16 scenes per loop and there are 2 loops on a CBus Dali gateway verses DMX 4 channels per unit.

Graham Lamb, Jul 23, 2020
Ask a Question