DMX Gateway

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by carlg, Sep 27, 2016.

1. carlg

carlg

Can I put more than 1 DMX Gateway on the same DMX Line.

The DMX Lighting has been cabled with one common DMX cable. There are around 40 DMX Channels needed to control the lights. Can connect 4 DMX Gateways on common cable, or do we need to re-wire the lighting in groups of 12 and bring 4 DMX Cables back to each individual DMX Gateway.

carlg, Sep 27, 2016
  2. carlg

jboer

Hey,

Unfortunately you can only put one DMX Gateway per DMX line. You do have a few options though.

1. As you have said run separate cables for each of the Gateways.

2. Put in a DMX Merge unit Artistic License DIN rail merger. You would need 3 to do 4 gateways.

3. Or you could use a Node8 from ELC or Pathport. You would only need 1 for what you want to do.

4. We manufacture a number of different products for controlling DMX from C-Bus for medium to large scale projects so if you are interested we can talk more about that.

jboer, Sep 28, 2016
  3. carlg

carlg

Jboer.
    Many thanks for input on this. At the moment I will go down the route of having the electrical contactor install 4 separate DMX lines, one for DMX controller.
    However, please send me more information on the products you produce.

carlg, Sep 28, 2016
  4. carlg

jboer

Hey Carl,

I was also just thinking I should add, even if you need 40 DMX Channels to control the lights, if they can be grouped for control purposes (for example if you are using RGB fittings all the red channels can be grouped onto one C-Bus Group Address) then you may find you only need 1 or 2 gateways, you can put as many of the DMX 512 addresses against a C-Bus Group as you want in the gateway.

jboer, Sep 30, 2016
  5. carlg

sjfp

I am going to look for a better solution in the long term like a rs232 to 512 DMX or TCP to 512 DMX.

sjfp, Oct 3, 2016
  6. carlg

jboer

Hey Carl and SJFP,

I don't think either of you can send PMs so if you would like to email me at jboer AT stateautomation.com I can chat to you privately about C-Bus - DMX options and solutions.

J

jboer, Oct 12, 2016
Ask a Question