DMX Gateway

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by jon.godfrey, Aug 1, 2010.

1. jon.godfrey

jon.godfrey

Hi,

I quite new to the forum but loving the amount of information here! What a breath of fresh air.

I am planning a Kitchen project with a high open Atrium. There?s lots of white plaster so I was planning to use LED Wall Washers for mood lighting which is pushing me down the DMX route. DMX is a little new to me but it seems simple enough. I guess if Roadies have to use it for stage work it must be :).

From the DMX controllers to the lights seems simple enough. I can mix Red, Green and Blue with values from 0-255 which gives me almost any colour and a dimming function ? great so far.

I haven?t taken delivery of the C-Bus DMX gateway as yet (on order) and I wondered if anybody has integrated such a solution. I?m assuming I?ll be able to programme and send DMX signals form scenes set in DLT?s or from a 5753PEIRL depending on light levels. I?ll be using Wiser and further down the line I plan to use a Colour Touchscreen.

It all seems too simple and good to be true which probably means it is. I can?t see any Technical Support Application Notes of the DMX Gateway. Before I head in to the unknown anybody attempted such a thing?

Cheers

Jon

jon.godfrey, Aug 1, 2010
  2. jon.godfrey

Newman

The DMX Gateway is a fairly straightforward device to use. It takes up to 12 C-Bus groups and turns them into a DMX data sequence.

If you're new to DMX the main things to remember are:

• Only 1 device can be generating the DMX data string. All other devices just listen. In this case, it will be the DMX gateway doing the talking.
    • Wiring topology is daisy chain only.
    • The last device on the wiring run needs an end-of-line termination resistor fitted across the terminals.
    • The cable used for DMX is fairly specific, so make sure you use the right stuff.
    Whilst waiting to receive your unit there are 2 things you can do to get yourself up to speed:

Anything you can do with a C-Bus Group Address can be faithfully reproduced on a DMX slot, so you can do pretty much anything. The best way to think of the DMX Gateway is a unit that copies C-Bus Group levels onto DMX slots.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2010
    Newman, Aug 1, 2010
  3. jon.godfrey

jon.godfrey

That's great to know, thank you! :)

jon.godfrey, Aug 1, 2010
Ask a Question