DMX control of cold cathode

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 2SC, Jan 27, 2010.

1. 2SC

2SC

Hi,
    In a future project we have to control a cold cathode via a DMX controller supplied by the cold cathode manufacturer.

I was asked if this is possible via C-Bus and I answered without hesitation
    of course (what else in these hard days :D).

After searching a little bit our forum I understand that this is possible with 2 ways:
    1. By trying to communicate directly via PACA if this is possible
    2. By using a
    CBUS to DMX Lighting Driver like CG-DMX48 http://www.controlgadgets.com.au/products.asp?lnk=9&pg=34

Does any of you ever used the
    DMX Lighting Driver of Control Gadgets?
    Is there any other idea?

2SC, Jan 27, 2010
  2. 2SC

Newman

OR
    3) You could use the new, bright and shiny C-Bus to DMX Gateway and then use any DMX Cold Cathode dimmer/driver that you can get your hands on.

Out of interest, why are you wanting to use DMX in between C-Bus and the Cold Cathode lamp? Clipsal sell a product called a Neon Lighting Adapter (5100NLA) that enables many of the Clipsal leading-edge dimmers to work with cold cathode lamps, although you'd need to contact Clipsal sales for specifics. It would cut out the "middle-man" and would likely also be cheaper.

Newman, Jan 27, 2010
  3. 2SC

2SC

DMX Gateway 5500DMX

I have to admit that I rarely check CIS site for new products since usually there is an announcement in this forum that I check every day. Its nice to have more tools in our hands.

As I wrote, the manufacturer of the cold cathode lighting fixture will supply the DMX controller. However, I forgot to mention that the cold cathode is RGB. I suppose that this is not a problem...

Is there a possibility the RGB controller mentioned in Clipsal news to be the new DMX controller?
    http://www.clipsal.com.au/trade/news/current_news/all_wiser_after_cedia_expo

2SC, Jan 28, 2010
  4. 2SC

Newman

If the control box provided with the cold cathode lamp is doing the DMX -> RGB conversion, then I would not expect a problem. The DMX Gateway can convert up to 12 C-Bus Group Addresses into a DMX stream.

This has caused some general confusion. To the best of my knowledge, the RGB control that was on display was using the DMX Gateway connected to a DMX LED driver.

Newman, Jan 28, 2010
  5. 2SC

dic

Or an Analogue Output Unit connected to a 0-10V driver....

dic, Jan 28, 2010
Ask a Question