DLT's failing

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by fleetz, Jan 2, 2011.

1. fleetz

Don

I agree, your issue can't be with the EEPROM wearout, given the facts available.

I have seen the problem of units appearing to work for days, then failing, and when powered down, and aloowed to cool, they would be good for a day or two again a couple of times before in early units. The problem there was thermal.

Don, Jan 13, 2011
  2. fleetz

fleetz

Hi Don,

This is going to be interesting if it is thermal.

In my case I have not cooled them down just reprogrammed them to see if they come back to life. The two down there now might have worked once or twice before the failed again. I did power these units now and back up when I was doing the fault finding. Had them hanging just on the pink Cat5 disconnected them and then powered them up and they didn't come back to life, only when I resend the the keypads programmed data do they spring back.

The other two I have here one I reprogrammed a week ago and is still going however it is the second time I have done this one I think the first time it held a couple of days. The other one here seems to hold up a day or so, that said it is up over three days now, this one has failed 4 times.

So what is common with these I thought that are potentially different to others that have not failed. All of these units are installed using Clipsal 157/1P boxes in block construction there is a 25mm conduit which runs down to each box. All boxes and conduits are core filled so there is no breathing other than what the conduit offers. I have 7 others in exactly the same installation situation all working fine.

If it is thermal there is a possibility that they will work on the bench fine and will be returned "no fault found"! Let's see.

Be interested finding out on the ones that you mentioned in your post what was causing them to fail.....what was replaced?? It does sound more like what I am experiencing.

Regards,

Fleetz

fleetz, Jan 13, 2011
  3. fleetz

NickD Moderator

If the piece of information you provided about them being OK for several days before failing was provided with the report, then that wold be taken into account when assessing the returned units.

Unfortunately, often this kind of useful information is not included... we just get a problem description of "doesn't work" or something equally useless :(

I have asked the repair people to keep an eye out for these units, however when I asked earlier in the week they hadn't seen anything yet. Can you tell us who was returning them, when they were sent, and the name of the integrator or company? How many were actually returned?

Regarding the serial numbers.... you don't have them in your Toolkit database?

Cheers,

Nick

NickD, Jan 13, 2011
  4. fleetz

fleetz

Hi Nick,

Thanks for taking the interest.

I returned them to your Cairns Clispsal location. Brendan O'Reilly took them in and relayed them to Luke from your Townsville location as I understand. I dropped them in on November 24th.

I did have a description of the fault however since then I think the process of posting here has probably given a better and more accurate fault description. Hopefully a pointer to this thread if we can get it in time would be most helpful for the person doing the repair.

Sorry I can not help you with serial numbers. I purchased two replacement units and assigned them the same GA as the faulty ones.

I will PM you with my personal details which will help track the units down.

Regards,

Fleetz

fleetz, Jan 13, 2011
  5. fleetz

fleetz

Hi Nick,

Just remembered I had an old lappy with the project on and had not been updated so the serial numbers should be the ones be down there.

I am 99.99% sure these are the correct serial numbers on the 2 down there.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Fleetz

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

fleetz, Jan 14, 2011
  6. fleetz

NickD Moderator

Thanks. That will help to identify them as yours when they show up.

It wouldn't surprise me if they were delayed by all the water up in your neck of the woods right now :(

Nick

NickD, Jan 14, 2011
Ask a Question