DLT time setting PAC, daylight saving issue

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Rab_lone, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Rab_lone

Rab_lone

Hi
    I currently use a PAC to enable through schedules indoor and outdoor sensors using both time stamp and sunset / sunrise.
    The PAC gains time over months and years so I have started using DLT time setting to reset it to the correct time instead of going in to PICED and reloading.
    This works fine and the PAC accepts time change and any time stamp functions work.
    The issue I have found is we are currently in daylight saving season and when I change time via the DLT the sunset sunrise function in schedule is out? It appears to set time but then add an hour to sunset / sunrise time?
    In toolkit application log I get the following message?
    When I load time via PICED:
    Time Broadcast: Time set to 08:57:52. Daylight saving offset set to 1 hours.
    When I load time via DLT.
    Time Broadcast: Time set to 08:57:52. Daylight saving offset set to 0 hours.

Does this mean I can only change time when out of daylight saving period using the DLT?
    Or should I disable daylight saving in PAC and set time manual when daylight saving starts and ends.

Im trying to find a resolve so when I leave the property it is simple for someone to update time drift without PICED software?

Thanks

Rab_lone, Feb 26, 2020
  2. Rab_lone

chromus

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    chromus, Feb 26, 2020
  3. Rab_lone

Ashley

Cbus always broadcasts time as local time. It then includes a flag to specify if daylight saving is active. The flag has 3 states. It can be 'Daylight saving not active', 'Daylight Saving Active' or 'I don't know anything about daylight saving'. When you set the time via a DLT it uses the last option. i.e. I know nothing about daylight saving'. When devices receive this time update, they will set their time to that specified, but leave the daylight saving flag in its current state. So the PAC will just update the time and retain it's current daylight saving setting.

From what you have written, it sounds like the time is updating ok, but it is screwing up the sunset/sunrise times. Why the PAC would be recalculating these for a time change (and not a date change) I have no idea. Sounds like a bug in the PAC to me. I think that using a PAC as a time master is very rare, so that may be why this issue has never arisen. You could log it as a fault with clipsal support and see what they say. I wouldn't hold by breath waiting for a PAC firmware update though :)

About all I can suggest is that you disable daylight saving, delete the daylight saving schedules in the PAC and do it manually. Given how inaccurate the PAC is at time keeping, you probably have to set the time regularly anyway, so setting it at the start and end of daylight saving may not be such a big deal.

The only other choice is to install an accurate time keeper like a wiser or shac controller.

Ashley, Feb 26, 2020
  4. Rab_lone

Rab_lone

Thanks chromus and Ashley for reply.
    Im think Ashley I will take your advise and disable daylight saving and change manually.
    Will also remove any schedules around sunset and sunrise in case date gets out, that way time functions will always work on time which if keep up to date will be accurate enough.

Does that sound feasible?

Rab_lone, Feb 27, 2020
  5. Rab_lone

Wonkey

Depending how poorly your PAC maintains time and by this is it a minute a month or many hours you could consider using the C-Bus diagnostic utility to set the time which is reasonably quick to do and would allow you to maintain the daylight savings.
    You also mentioned that the DLT changed the daylight saving setting, check the firmware on the DLTs and if you have other DLTs of different firmware try setting the time from one of them.

Wonkey, Feb 27, 2020
  6. Rab_lone

Rab_lone

Hi Wonkey
    2 DLT's with different firmware same result
    Interesting I took Ashley advise and disabled daylight saving and ensured time was accurate
    When checked sunset/sunrise it went back an hour and didn't allow for location date
    ie should sunset here at 19:47 but PAC said 18:47
    My schedules are now an hour early even with time set to correct time?

Thoughts?

Rab_lone, Feb 27, 2020
  7. Rab_lone

Wonkey

Are you using the latest version of piced. There was an earlier version with schedule time problems

Wonkey, Feb 27, 2020
  8. Rab_lone

Rab_lone

No real early version of PICAD as my computer can't handle the new software. Think i need to upgrade.
    I have just found that the DLT I was using sends back response
    Time Broadcast: Time set to 08:57:52. Daylight saving offset set to 0 hours.
    I just noticed the other unit send back response
    Time Broadcast: Time set to 08:57:52. Daylight saving offset set to unknown hours as Ashley describes above.
    Later firmware in DLT.
    I will see what happens at sunset tonight and monitor.

Rab_lone, Feb 28, 2020
Ask a Question