Din relay/dimmer loudness

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by richms, May 14, 2006.

1. richms

richms

The likly installation location for one of my din boxes with cbus kit in it will be in a timber framed wall that backs onto a bedroom.

Accordinly I am quite concerned about how loud the relays are when they trigger. Already I have pulled out the internal motion sensors I put in the hallway because the relay was too loud (cheap hpm round disk types) so dont want a repeat of that.

Also, in several places around the house I have currently got cheap hpm flushbox rotary dimmers. These are too loud also, authough not audible from the next room. How bad are the cbus din dimmers at making noise?

richms, May 14, 2006
  2. richms

ashleigh Moderator

Noise is very subjective :(

I work all day with some of the DIN dimmers about 1.5 metres away and under some circumstances they make a small humming. Of course, one persons small is another persons deafening. I'm biassed, of course, but I think these are pretty good. I'm sure you won't hear them.

The new rotary "mech" dimmers are damn close to silent. (New = those that have been out for the last couple of years.)

Rather than taking my word, though, I suggest you find somebody who has them running and take a listen. Depending on where you are you may be able to visit a Clipsal demo house or showroom - if you can, ask if you can poke your head inthe wiring closet and have a listen.

ashleigh, May 14, 2006
  3. richms

PSC

Well I guess that explains quite a few things Ashleigh, all that EMF only 1.5m away :eek: :eek: :eek:

PSC, May 14, 2006
  4. richms

JohnC

The C-Bus dimmers are quiet, but the relays definitely make a racket. You wouldn't hear it in daytime, but it might be audible in the middle of the night.

If you can't relocate them, then get some Rockwool insulation and pack that in behind them to try and deaden the clicking (which is fairly high frequency, so will get absorbed pretty well by insulation).

Also note that there may be sound transmission through the mounting surfaces (ie: the relay click will reverberate via the wood) - therefore consider some kind of floating mounts or rubber or something similar.

Alternatively, why not install the relays elsewhere? If you are only using a few channels, locate them close to the loads they control (it's not as annoying when you hit a switch and hear a click, compared to lying in bed and hearing it). The 1 and 2 channel relays are especially handy for remote installations - there is no "rule" that you HAVE to keep all the C-Bus in one place...

Cheers, John

JohnC, May 14, 2006
Ask a Question