Dimming a 3000w load

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Pie Boy, Nov 16, 2021.

1. Pie Boy

Pie Boy

Can any one suggest a dimmer I can use c-bus or other protocol to be integrated into cbus to dim a 3000w element, I want to trickle feed hwc based on solar pv generation.
    Anyone tried this sort of thing before?

Pie Boy, Nov 16, 2021
  2. Pie Boy

Graham Lamb

C-Bus-3 channel 20A architectural
    dimmer-with 1 RCD-universal
    L5103D20UAR1
    They make them to order and where available in 1 Channel as well (if they are still available). They were very expensive.
    Also Clipsal had a hi power dimmer that was controlled via pot or an output from a cbus dimmer.

Graham Lamb, Nov 17, 2021
  3. Pie Boy

ashleigh Moderator

TBH you are probably best off just using a relay and turning it on in the peak generation period.

A dimmer will chop up the mains half cycles so average current might be your friend but peak current won't.

I guess the dimmer might get what you want, but ultimately the best method would be to get a modern newfangled yankee style water heater with multiple elements and then set it up so that you operate none, one or two elements as appropriate.

ashleigh, Dec 1, 2021
Ask a Question