Dimmers For Relays

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Clinton's Electrical, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Clinton's Electrical

Clinton's Electrical

Hi All I Have A Simple Question Probably Posted Somewhere Else. :D I Have A Full 12 Ch Voltage Free Relay On The Load Side Is A Few Energy Savers And Heated Towel Rails And 4 Outside Lights With Wire Wound Ballasts A 40 watt BAssast Running 2 x PL 21 WAtt CFL's. The Question Is I NEED To Utilize 4 relays For Other Loads. But Have 5 Ch Free on A 1 Amp Dimmer...is It Possible To Use the Dimmer For The Ballasts As A ON/ Off Instead Of Spending $$$$$ On Another Relay?:eek: The Towel Rails Are Elements 120 Watt and 260 Watt
    Any Help Would be great, Thanks :)

Clinton's Electrical, Jun 12, 2009
  2. Clinton's Electrical

Conformist

Resistive loads such as a towel rail element will not cause any problems as long as you don't exceed the current (1A) of the dimmer.

You can run your other 'on/off' loads from a dimmer channel but may need a 31CAP to take care of leakage current that will make the load appear on even when it's off. Do a quick search on this forum on 31CAP and this should help a little more.

A quick question if I may.... If there was a 2 channel din-rail relay available at a reasonable price, would you use this instead?

Cheers

Conformist, Jun 12, 2009
  3. Clinton's Electrical

Htnut

I am running fluoros off a dimmer quite successfully for the exact reason that you have mentioned. All you need to do is put a .22 microfarad mains rated capacitor across the load. these are available from Jaycar for about a dollar. Much cheaper than a 31Cap!!

Htnut, Jun 13, 2009
  4. Clinton's Electrical

ashleigh Moderator

Please please please make sure the caps you buy and use are MAINS RATED.

You need a voltage rating well over 240V - about 500 to 750V should be used. And it should Y-rated for safety ("failure could lead to shock" class).

Mandatory legal disclaimer:
    This DOES NOT comprise comprehensive safety advice. If you don't know what you are doing, buy a 31CAP. I am NOT RESPONSIBLE if you read this, think you know what to do, and damage yourself, somebody else, or a building or property. Don't point your insurance companies at me. Know what you are doing.

ashleigh, Jun 13, 2009
  5. Clinton's Electrical

Clinton's Electrical

Thanks Guys For Your Help, I Have The Dimmer Free Channels So Buying A Din 2 Channel Relay Would be Great But A Expense At This Stage I Changed The Outside Lights Some Time Ago And Put The Pool Light And Surrounding pool Lights On the Same Channel But Its not Nice.:( So By Putting The Floro's On The Dimmer Its Really Going To Be Better). One Question in The On/Off Slider On the Dimmer In Toolkit Do I Set The Min To Say 90% and Max To 100% So To Say Have A Definite On / Off And Not Dim The Load ? Thanks Guys:) Ps How Much For The DIN 2 Ch Relay.?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2009
    Clinton's Electrical, Jun 13, 2009
  6. Clinton's Electrical

Darpa

Make sure that if you're going to use a capacitor from Jaycar, or anywhere else, instead of a 31CAP, that you buy an X2 class cap.

Darpa, Jun 13, 2009
  7. Clinton's Electrical

znelbok

I would - Yes definitely. i think there is a huge gap in the product list. The small one off remote load that needs to be added to a system, or the one too many loads in a new system can be covered nicely by this small relay.

Fit it inside the same casing as the blind controller as well and it is a definite winner

I am in this position in a couple of places here

Mick

znelbok, Jun 14, 2009
Ask a Question