Dimmers and Relays Randomly turning all on!! Help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tango, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Tango

Tango

I have recently completed an installation consisting of Dimmers units 12Ch relays, 0-10v units and one anolog level sensor and a touch screen running Home gate on an XP SP3 platform using a dontronics USB to RS232 interface. Also have 10 PIRs 1.6 version to turn various lights on and off and using Reflection switches.

Last Monday I simulated the mains power turning off as this has been happening quite a bit down there and spent some time on the phone to CIS.
    One of the 12 channel relays would refuse to remember its previous state and would turn on a a few extra chanels evertime the power was re established till all the channels were on. The other dimmer and relay units seemed to be coming back on in the same state as b4.

This moring the next door neighbour rings and says all lights are now on. After getting him to enter the house I can confirm that not just the suspect 12 chanel unit but all the units are now on!!!!!:mad::mad:

The holiday house is located 2 hrs out of Melbourne and the Lights are turning on all by themselves randomly even when the away mode has been set on leaving the house. The away mode disables the PIRs and turns all lights and relays to off.

Has anyone seen this b4??Can any one help as the customer is saying things like " Can we take out Cbus system and just have a nomal system??"
    :(

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2010
    Tango, Mar 31, 2010
  2. Tango

Newman

Whenever things happen on a C-Bus network that are unexpected the first place to start is hooking up the Diagnostic Utility to a PC Interface so that the network traffic can be monitored. You may find a network message resulting in all the loads being turned on.

Since all the lights in the house are turning on, I'd actually suspect a wiring fault resulting in the remote overrides being activated. Whilst the house is in this state, the Toolkit status tab of the units can be inspected to see if the Remote On is active.

Newman, Mar 31, 2010
  3. Tango

NickD Moderator

In addition, a few other suggestions:

Unless you have a good reason* to do otherwise :

- set all key units and PIRs to recover their levels to OFF
    - set all output channels that are not controlled by PIRs/Timers/Schedules to recover their levels to the previous state
    - set output channels controlled by PIRs/Timers/Schedules to recover to OFF

The bit about output channels controlled by PIRs is particularly important because if the channel is set to recover to previous level, and was turned on by the PIR, and was on when the power failed, it will recover to on but the PIR will never turn it off (because its timer will have been cancelled by the power cycle).

*Good reason to do otherwise might be exceptions like always setting channels controlling bathroom heat lamps to recover to off.

Nick

NickD, Mar 31, 2010
  4. Tango

mmd

As mentioned above I would set your restore state to off.

This is especially important with relay modules as (not sure if they still do this, but used to be a problem) they power back on, they sometimes 'pulse' the channels.

This wouldn't be enough to leave a light on, but I have had many examples where the garage doors would receive enough of an input to cycle through their OSC sequence and the client would come home after a power failure and find the doors open.

Also not good for blinds, although of course you would use the blind relays these days.

mmd, Mar 31, 2010
Ask a Question