Dimmer with or without inbuilt power supply

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Addog01, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Addog01

Addog01

Hi there I was wondering if anyone can help me.
    I have an 8 channel dimmer without inbuilt power supply, do I need a power supply to run this dimmer properly?
    Also can someone tell me what is the difference between having an inbuilt power supply and having an external power supply.

Im trying to run a number of compatible led light fittings 13w each about 20 in total across 8 dimmer channels.
    Thanks.

Addog01, Apr 9, 2014
  2. Addog01

rhamer

You need power supplies that have the capacity to drive all the C-Bus units on your network.

Whether those power supplies are internal or external or a combination of both makes no difference, so long as you have enough capacity (but not too much).

But remember the power supplies only power the C-Bus side of the equipment, and has nothing to do with the load.

As for driving LED's, I have no experience, but I have seen many threads here with all sorts of problems, questions, and answers, so be sure to do your homework and research the information here first.

Regards

Rohan

rhamer, Apr 9, 2014
  3. Addog01

DarylMc

Hi Addog01

Have you done the Basic CBus training course?
    You need to know this stuff.

It depends on what you already have on the network.

The CBus network needs a power supply amongst other things such as network burden and system clock settings to work properly.
    The more CBus devices on the CBus network the more power required.

Each device whether it be a CBus key input, sensor or anything else has listed in its specifications the amount of power it will draw from the CBus network.

You need to calculate what is required for the devices and make sure it is available.
    The maximum current of power supplies allowed on a network is 2000mA.

It does not matter whether the units have an inbuilt power supply or an external power supply.
    It only matters that there is enough power available to operate the units on the CBus network without exceeding the maximum current.

If the lights you have are specified compatible with CBus dimmers there is a good chance they will have specifications as to how many are allowed per channel.

If they don't supply that information for your specific dimmer model then the results can be very hit and miss.

Call Tech support on 1300 722 247 if you are in doubt.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2014
    DarylMc, Apr 9, 2014
  4. Addog01

DarylMc

Hi rhamer
    I think I need to check for replies before I click post next time:)

DarylMc, Apr 9, 2014
  5. Addog01

rhamer

At least we're saying the same thing :)

Rohan

rhamer, Apr 10, 2014
  6. Addog01

DarylMc

Yeah
    I'm happy with that.

DarylMc, Apr 10, 2014
Ask a Question