Dimmer Remote off...

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by Charlie Crackle, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Charlie Crackle

Charlie Crackle

I hand a issue wth a site that has been working fine for months.

Their lights started flickering. Lights on dimmers would dimm and then go bright. lights on relays would just go off. Cbus commands has no effect. cbus still working fine (ie could scan the network)

disconnecting the remote off cables fixed the issue.

I measured the resistance on the remote off leads going to the house and the resistance was infinity.

in the end it was moisture in first connection.

does the remote off just require a voltage for remote off ?? ie voltage(current) leaking from the blue and orange pair to one of the remote off wires cause the remote off to half activate ?? You see what was wierd was the dimmers were not going off just dimming a little and going bright again at a frequency of a about once every 5 seconds. (the relays were going off and staying off) the local toggle buttons did nothing

Charles

Charlie Crackle, Aug 30, 2006
  2. Charlie Crackle

Gavin Nation

Hi Charlie,
    I have had the problem before when trying to program a half installed system.
    The c-bus Cat5 was run externally and water had seeped into the cable (once just hanging out a wall, once cable fell into wet sand). Both times I was getting a short between the C-Bus +ve and -ve pairs.
    I guessed the short circuit protection on the C-Bus power supplied cut in, waited the three or four seconds, re-supplied power and then cut out again. It did this continually.
    The slightly odd thing was some parts of the system worked, DLTs displayed their startup screen and a few other bits. Cut the end of the C-Bus cable and separated the stands and hte problem went away.

Gavin Nation, Aug 30, 2006
  3. Charlie Crackle

Newman

Nope.

As pointed out in the instruction manuals that come with C-Bus products, the remote override is activated when the remote override pair in the C-Bus cable is connected to C-Bus -ve, usually by some sort of dry contact switch.

Internally the unit is watching the remote override line and activates the override when the input is pulled to C-Bus -ve.

Newman, Aug 31, 2006
  4. Charlie Crackle

[IL]NewGen

hmm, interesting case... lol, i usually refer to notes and even better rtfm wen i start to lose it,

[IL]NewGen, Aug 31, 2006
Ask a Question