Dimmer relays - how many amps!?!?

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by nick79, Nov 3, 2004.

1. nick79

nick79

please excuse my ignorance,

how do i determine what dimmer i need - 1A, 2A ect

say 1A per channel, does that mean that all the light fittings on that channel should not exceed 1A when they are all on!?!

please help me understand...

nick79, Nov 3, 2004
  2. nick79

Wilko

That is correct.

I recall from your earlier posts that you have already organised an electrician for your house - probably a good idea to keep him handy for any queries on the 240v side of things.

Wilko, Nov 3, 2004
  3. nick79

nick79

so i would have to choose my light fittings first before i purchase the dimmer units.....

would 1A be sufficient for most lighting

nick79, Nov 3, 2004
  4. nick79

Wilko

Yes, you should have a clear idea of what all your electrical loads are before you design the C-Bus system.

Once you figure out what lights you want, you'll probably find that 1A channels will suffice for much of it. But if you're not careful you'll fry channels.

This is where I come back to my advice on working with your sparkie - choose all the lights you want (and any other fixed electrical equipment eg fans, aircons, etc), then have the sparkie advise on what current each load will draw. Get him familiar with C-Bus and he'll help decide which relays/dimmers you need.

You'll find that there is a great reluctance on this forum to give out too much advice on 240v stuff.. with good reason. It must be left in the hands of licensed sparkies. There's no point having a fully automated deceased estate.

Regards,

Wilko, Nov 3, 2004
  5. nick79

TheDuck

Electronic Transformers

When installing Low Voltage Lights with Electronic Transformers make sure you check the "Electronic Compatibility Chart" on the CIS Site because it may not just be the Wattage that causes you problems!!! :)

http://www.clipsal.com/cis/lit_installtraining_dimmer.php3

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2004
    TheDuck, Nov 3, 2004
Ask a Question