Dimmer Prob and flashing downlights

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by impact, Jun 10, 2010.

1. impact

impact

Yep - Usual story - nothing has been added or changed in the programming of my cbus... it has been working for 6 months fine... You know the usual unhelpful pre-description.....

So I have noticed over the last 2 days a group of 4 downlights mysteriously on - at first I thought wife had put them on... so it was just a matter of turning them off at the switch. Today they were on and flickering... Now thats strange I thought !

I'd turn them off at the switch or touch screen and they would come back on again - sometimes the button would look like it was off but the lights were on.

So this prompted me to look at the dimmer - the lights are on channel 2 of an 8 channel dimmer - and thats when I found that the lights would mysteriously come on but the dimmer would not have the channel 2 led on - so looking at the dimmer it looks like they are off !!!

So I am now more confident it is not my programming - although - yes - I need to log the cbus to see what is going on - but like all strange little things - it has at the moment stopped, and I dont know when the problem will occur again - and realistically I need to be home to see it - so I can then see what the logs are saying.

My question relates to my assumption - fauilty wiring (short) - or faulty dimmer... Thoughts ?

I can call my sparky out to check for a short (and it has been raining heavy - did I get some water in somewhere), but could it also be the dimmer is faulty on that channel (yep I have no spare channels)

Any experience in where the lights come on or flicker constantly yet the dimmer led is showing its off throughout the mysterious turn on...

impact, Jun 10, 2010
  2. impact

Newman

A relatively quick test is to swap 2 of your channels over and see if the flickering follows the dimmer channel or the load.

Newman, Jun 10, 2010
  3. impact

impact

Good thinking - oh well in daylight tomorrow !

impact, Jun 10, 2010
Ask a Question