Dimmer Power Supply Failure

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by CM1, Mar 28, 2018.

1. CM1

CM1

My C-Bus2 (2005) 2 x 12 relay and 2 x 8 dimmer all wired system is no longer operating on the switch side ie switches do not operate. Mains power is fine and when it went down those items that were on stayed on. When I tried to access the units (database obviously OK) the software (latest version) gave me "PCI failed to reset" error 22918. Both dimmers have an internal 200mA supply. One is warmer on the right hand side than the other, so I presume the cooler one has a failed power supply and because the voltage is now too low, the switches won't operate. (1) Am I likely to be right in my assumption? (2) Clipsal say they don't advise getting it repaired, so I am up for a $1400 new unit! I expect the other dimmer will fail soon. Any likelyhood of me being able to repair the unit?

CM1, Mar 28, 2018
  2. CM1

NickD Moderator

Your diagnosis sounds reasonable... if the voltage is too low you should see the C-Bus LED on the dimmers/relays and PCI should be out.

You say "Clipsal say they don't advise getting it repaired"... I'm not sure on what basis they're saing that, but as far as I know repair is still an option.. I guess depending on where you are, and how long it's going to mean you are without a unit, it may or may not be a good option, but it should be significantly less expensive than a new unit.

I'd suggest talking to a local C-Bus installer (you'll at least need a sparky to replace the unit).... they might be able to facilitate a changeover.

Nick

NickD, Mar 28, 2018
  3. CM1

Ashley

Given the power supply is a separate board that just plugs in it sounds a bit odd that you are told it isn't repairable. If you are keen you can buy the cheapest cbus unit with a power supply you can find on ebay and just swap them over yourself. Disassembling is a bit of a pain as they glue the blue plastic covers on but it's possible to remove them intact with care and the rest is easy. Naturally of course it's up to you to decide if this is a viable option :)

Ashley, Mar 28, 2018
  4. CM1

CM1

Thanks NickD and Ashley for your quick response.

I tried again and got this from Clipsal: "While we do not offer the internal power supply available as a purchasable part, it should be suitable to use a 5500PS which will provide the network with 350mA to the C-Bus network. This should save the hassle of repairing a non user serviceable part, and will be the most cost effective."

My problem is that I need 400mA, as I have 21 switch units, so I would need two 5500PS at around $600 each (assuming that the other dimmer doesn't have too much longer for this world after 13 years in the saddle). Also my module box has only 3 slots left on each row (all rows occupied) and the 5500PS needs 4. It would be horrendous to replace the box.

So I will keep at them for the part and if it is too complicated for me to do the work, I will find someone. I will let the forum know how I go.

The house is now lit with table lamps and looks much more homely! My wife is happy to wait.

CM1, Mar 28, 2018
  5. CM1

Ashley

This from Clipsal? The dimmer internal power supply also provides power to the dimmer circuitry, so if it has failed adding a cbus power supply won't fix the problem.

In the interim, you could try partitioning the system to get the current under 200mA. Since the switches probably daisy chained but disconnecting the right switch you could drop a number of the bus and get something working at least.

The system design leaves a bit to be desired. Having just enough current is very short sighted. At least have 200mA spare so if one supply fails you don't loose the whole system.

Ashley, Mar 28, 2018
Ask a Question