Dimmer module controlled contactor

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bpharris, Apr 21, 2006.

1. bpharris

bpharris

I have just installed Dimmer module and want to activate a contactor with one of the output channels. System works fine for turning the contactor on but the ambient votage at the channel terminal holds the contactor in switched mode.

I do not have a relay module and would prefer not to install one (many reasons eg space, external installation, etc). Customer wants dimming control of lights so Dimmer Module must stay.

If I parallel a load across the contactor coil this will drop the ambient voltage sufficiently to deactivate the coil. I used a 60W globe for this purpose but would prefer not use something as prone to failure as a globe. A resistor would be good but I cannot source a suitably rated device. I have been informed by CIS technical that a 15W load would do the job.

If anyone has ideas of a suitable load type or alternative system I would appreciate your input

Cheers

Brendan Harris
    Lanscape Lighting

bpharris, Apr 21, 2006
  2. bpharris

2dogs

Maybe if you try a 31CAP it will be enough of a load to solve the issue. They are a capacitor/resistor in series that is available for loading of two wire products. You install across the load like the 60watter.

Maybe.........

2dogs, Apr 26, 2006
  3. bpharris

bpharris

To 2dogs

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll let you know how it goes

PS How did you get your name?!?

bpharris, Apr 27, 2006
  4. bpharris

JohnC

Just don't forget that there is a cheap SINGLE Channel relay available... I know it's not what you want, but so many of us forget those 1ch and 2ch (non-din rail) beasties are available... and boy are they handy for fixing problems like yours !

Oh, and don't forget that the 1ch also has a (rudimentary) 0-10V output, for analogue dimming of fluoros etc. That's easy to forget that feature because CIS don't really tell anyone in their marketing materials - it's only listed in the installation leaflet.

JohnC, Apr 28, 2006
Ask a Question