Dimmer Control of Ceiling Fans

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by harro, Oct 17, 2008.

1. harro

harro

Having read a number of responses on Forum recommending you don't use a dimmer channel to control ceiling fans, why do the installation instructions for the universal dimmer say ceiling fans with permanent split phase capacitors motors are compatible? My understanding is that most ceiling fans use PSC motors, but are some better than others? I have a customer who has had ceiling fans connected to C-Bus dimmers in the past (not by me) and wants to do this again for a new installation. I'm not completely comfortable with doing this (despite Clipsal saying you can), but the cost of using say 3 relay channels and additional buttons makes the exercise too expensive. I'm also get the impression that good quality fans (better bearings, etc) are not as much a problem as the cheapies........any ideas?
    Harro

harro, Oct 17, 2008
  2. harro

NickD Moderator

The universal dimmer itself is perfectly capable of driving such a ceiling fan motor.

The reason it's generally not recommended is that using phase control to control the speed of such a motor often results in audible noise from the fan.

From our experience the amount of noise is highly dependent on the particular fan.. and even fans of the same make/model can vary from batch to batch, so it's a somewhat hit and miss approach.

Nick

NickD, Oct 17, 2008
  3. harro

angel.reign07

You can set the mood in a room with the lighting and control a ceiling fan's speed from ... Wire nuts; 12/2 or 14/2 home wire; Dimmer switch or fan control, well maybe try to search in some site that are related in your topic...

angel.reign07, Mar 6, 2009
Ask a Question