Dimmer as a relay

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by impact, Oct 20, 2021.

1. impact

impact

Its been 10 years of CBUS in my house - how times change... Generally has been a good experience - not sure if I would do it again.... LOL

When the house was constructed - it was dimable lights in each room (ordinary incandescent bulbs)... Switch in each room would turn them on and off, hold down the switch to dim them - thought that was luxury....

Then along came LED - and it took a few years, but finally found some replaceable LED lights that dimmed... All was good in this what I will call the middle ages...

Now I am replacing these standard lights with a fan / led light... First experiment went well.... just replaced the globe with the DC fan mechanism - as it comes with a remote control to turn the fan on / off / speed / led light and several levels of dimming...

I wanted to try it all out before i even considered replacing the dimmer unit with a relay - why the extra cost eh?

So I was pretty good at it all - reprogrammed the switches so they just did an on off function - removed the dimmer capability... (I did forget one though - which a kid found and it blew up the fan - but thats what the experimentation is all about... Hehehe)

I recall the configuration on the dimmers you can set min max levels - 0% and 100% - so kind of act like a relay... and these DC fans consume so little current - like 3W (WTF!) on slow speed - and around 20W full blast! So not really concerned on this as I originally had 100W globes in them....

So my question is - until I get around to replacing the dimmer with relays.... what else should I do - program the dimmer units to do only 0% and 100% (stop them dimming), remove long press on switch configuration - is there anything else you would recommend?

impact, Oct 20, 2021
  2. impact

Graham Lamb

Hi
    You cant stop the soft start function (lights always ramp On over a 1 sccond or so never hard on like a relay is) only fix is a relay unit.

Graham Lamb, Oct 25, 2021
  3. impact

impact

Of course.... My real issue is no space in the cabinet to place a relay unit... As there are a few lights that are being replaced over time - its really just a short gap solution so I can reorganise the contents in the cabinet - ie get rid of an 8 block dimmer and replace with a relay unit....

But since posting this- I had a realisation - I do not even need these units on a dimmer (temporarily) or a relay (permantly) - as all the controls are via the remotes... so there is not need for an all on / off hen leaving the house through cbus - I can do that by other means interfaced with cbus (homebridge). So I just need these wired to a RCD - I think I have a problem resolved - can take them off the dimmer now....

impact, Oct 25, 2021
  4. impact

TallyFeli

Hi....You actually need to manage the triac in the dimmer having a base current required for legitimate conduction.

If you do attempt this capacitor. Simply ensure it is evaluated to be associated across an AC power line. Some detonate regardless of whether their voltage rating is sufficiently high that you would think it was protected.

Indeed, even at 100% On. The yield is definitely not a full sine wave. There is a little error almost zero intersection before the triac begins directing. I have compared 10 volts across the Line Input to a LampLinc to its Output Pin with a 40 watt brilliant bulb.

TallyFeli, Nov 11, 2021
Ask a Question