Dimmable low energy lamps

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Craggen, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Craggen

Craggen

Just new to these forums and was wondering what the latest news was on the choice of low energy lamps for a new Clipsal lighting system I am about to install. From previous reading I understand there are not many options available at this time that are compatible with the Clipsal dimmers.

I'd orignially intended to use CFL lamps and was looking at the latest generation from Aurora, the AU-DGUF4011. I have however also read that there are a number of dimmable LED lamps expected to market in the near future, one in particular being from Casatech (as reported on AutomatedHome.co.uk).

My question is, what other options are available either now or early in 2010 and where can I find suppliers for them in the UK.

Also, it's also good to hear the Wiser system will also be available in the UK early 2010. Should this make the setup and programming of the lighting and controls simpler for end users?

Thanks in advance

Craggen, Dec 30, 2009
  2. Craggen

ashleigh Moderator

Can't answer your other questions, its very country-specific. Though you may wish to look into some of the higher efficiency incandescent lamps - there are some non-reflector halogen lamps you can get they fit into standard sockets (eg from Osram, and I think GE do some as well).

IN GENERAL, CFLs are a pain to dim. Manufacturer claims of dimming compatibility are in general to be taken with about a shovel of salt (a pinch being way too kind on them). Some CFLs will dim, some actually draw MORE POWER when dimmed! Some suffer catastrophic failure of the ballast electronics, some have a vastly reduced lifetime. And some won't start from a dimmed setting.

The only thing to do with CFLs is try them. And when you buy more they will all be different because the makers change the designs (for all sorts of reasons) about every 6-9 months.

A simple approach is to buy a big-name brand - never a "never heard of it" chinese import or a cheap one, and you stand a better chance. Then if it does not work, take it back to point of sale and ask for you money back. REASON: makers claim their dimmable CFLs are compatible with electronic dimmers. If they are not, they failed. Get your money back. If they lamp makers get enough returns they will lift their game.

Sound harsh or a cop-out? No..... the dimmers work just fine on incandescent lamps. Anything sold as a replacement must in fact BE a replacement.

Regarding Wiser: It does not making commissioning/setup any easier. It provides a new means of control and monitoring from a new range of devices - web browsers, tablet PCs, mobile phones, etc.

ashleigh, Dec 31, 2009
  3. Craggen

industeq

Go LED...

You may want to look close at LED lighting.
    It is the up & coming trend and will not be orphaned like the CFL will in a few years.
    I am converting all of my house and office to LED and removing all CFL?s and incandescent bulbs?.event he refrigerator & oven will be LED when done??

There are several LED bulbs that are dimmable to around 20% but the great part about the Clipsal is you can set the parameters for the MIN to be whatever.

What I did is pull my PAR incandescent bulbs in that circuit, screw in my LED bulbs and have my dimmer module set to 0~100% then manually dim to see about where on the DLT it acts funny (either flicker or off) then I adjust in the toolkit to the percent needed. I to s around 20% on the generic bulbs from China I have tested.

Cheers
    Alan Dobbs
    Houston TX

industeq, Jan 16, 2010
Ask a Question