Dimmable CFL's - Magaman DimmerABLE

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mrees, Mar 25, 2008.

1. mrees

mrees

Well, its been a while since the last few batches of posts in regards to CFL's and their not so friendly dimmable behaviour :)

Just wondering if anyone out there has attempted to get C-Bus working successfully with the new Megaman Dimmerable (pronouced Dimmer Able) series?

http://www.megaman.cc/global/technology/dimmerable.php

After chatting to Cosmoluce they state that they will work with C-bus, as they do support standard dimmer switches (not all, though).
    However Megaman Australia themselves have not tested this in depth as of yet.

Has anyone had any experience by any chance?

Would love to see some forward movement in this area of C-bus and CFL dimmable lighting in general..

Looking forward to anyones comments

Cheerz,
    Matt

mrees, Mar 25, 2008
  2. mrees

JohnC

I spoke to Megaman Australia last week, but am awaiting information from them about accounts, etc. Our company buys as an OEM, so we don't necessarily need to deal through Cosmoluce.

I thought that the Megaman guy said that he was talking to Clipsal about testing etc - but I cannot be sure what the outcome was / will be.

------------

More general info about dimming CFLs...

Last week the Philips people brought around a spiral CFL which we successfully dimmed on our test rig (32 series Trailing edge, not C-Bus).

I think the main problem with all these lamps will not so much be how well they dim (because that is easily tested and confirmed), but how long they last when dimmed.

From what I've seen, they are all fairly reasonable at dimming providing the minimum level is set correctly so that they don't start flashing and carrying on from being under-run. In all cases the dimmers must be set to "toggle" (rather than "memory") or there will be all manner of starting problems, and it may even burn out the lamp filaments.

All the ones we've tested were more "smooth" on trailing edge dimmers than leading edge. Our tests were only for functionality (ie: did it work) rather than proper engineering evaluation.

JohnC, Mar 25, 2008
  3. mrees

mrees

Thanks for the post JohnC

Yeah, he also told me that they are busy testing with C-Bus at the Megaman Adelaide branch.

I really hope that it pans out as I really want them for ramping up and down.
    From what I read about the DimmerABLE series, they actually last longer when dimmed.

If anyone else has tested these or know any info, we would love to hear your feedback.

Thanx for reading..

mrees, Mar 25, 2008
  4. mrees

JohnC

Most of them will "tell you" that they last longer when dimmed - but this is usually from anecdotal evidence based on what happens to Incandescent and Halogen, rather than factual or statistical info on the products themselves.

With linear T5 on dedicated dimming ballasts, the lamp life can be significantly reduced when the product is dimmed. Perhaps not according to any sales brochure, but just ask anybody who's been involved in dimming DALI about how well the lamps handle it.

Small levels of dimming seem to be OK, but when lamps are dimmed below a certain point the filaments must be continually heated or the lamp extinguishes. This seems to be the main reason for end-blackening and poor life in fluoros when dimmed to low levels.

I'm no engineer - I just call it how I see it. But, if the big names like Osram, Philips and Tridonic can't make dimming reliable with a full-on dedicated ballast worth significantly more than the CFLs... I have my doubts about how "nicely" the lamp will be treated by a crude and cheap ballast in the base of a throwaway retrofit CLF lamp :rolleyes:

JohnC, Mar 25, 2008
  5. mrees

ashleigh Moderator

There is some evidence that SOME CFL's (not sure about Megaman, have no idea about them), but SOME CFL's actually INCREASE current consumption when dimmed AND ALSO have a shorter lifetime.

Be careful.

ashleigh, Mar 25, 2008
  6. mrees

mrees

Thanks for everyone's 2c

If anyone has had any other experiences, feel free to post

Cheerz,
    Matt

mrees, Mar 25, 2008
  7. mrees

genuineman

Megaman CFL's

Megaman Australia has confirmed testing with Clipsal Adelaide and C-Bus compat with Std Leading edge dimmers and C-Bus system.:)

genuineman, Jan 19, 2009
  8. mrees

NickD Moderator

Do you have any more information on exactly what level of compatibility they are claiming?

For example:
    Do they start at low brightness settings?
    Is the lamp life reduced or increased at dimmed settings?
    Does power consumption reduce or increase at dimmed settings?

Nick

NickD, Jan 19, 2009
  9. mrees

genuineman

CFL's Dimmable

After Chatting to the Megaman office @ Alexandria in Sydney I spoke to a very helpful guy although he said he was far from an engineer Their sales Manager I belive George was his name,he said that Megaman "Dimmerable" CFL's are rated at 10,000 HRS average rated life and yes as you dim them they actually use less power.
    The correct way to use a "Dimmerable " CFL was to turn it on to 100% then allow approx 1-2 minutes to reach operating Temp/brightness then you can dimm from 100% to as low as 10% ,make sure the dimmer switch doesnt go below this as the lamp may flicker as the Australian dimmer switches dont have a mechanism to stop and adjust them to remain at 10% as of course they are designed for incandesent and halogen .
    Works on Clipsal leading edge dimmers with a max load of 90Watts or 8 x 11w GU10 lamps. and C-bus sytem leading edge.
    Dynalite works on trailing edge ?
    Have tried them and works ok if you dimm slowly and maintain to 10%.Light output was pretty good for a GU10 not as bright as halogen but very even and easier to live with and now only 88watts ( 8 x 11w)consumption not 480 watts halogen and trans combined.(50w lamp + 10w trans = 60w x 8 lamps therefore 480 watts ouch what was i thinking at the time, and bonus no heat,miss it in winter but cant wait for summer.;
    He also said they have approx 4/5 dimmable CFL's in Australia and may be increasing the range as Megaman Global has approx 8 in the world range.:)

genuineman, Jul 30, 2009
  10. mrees

NickD Moderator

Hi genuineman,

Thanks for the info... it's good to hear.

The problem with flickering below 10% can easily be eliminated by setting a minimum level of 10% in the dimmer GUI.

Isn't it a bit of a problem though that you have to start it at maximum brightness for 1-2 minutes though! Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of a dimmer? It would kind of kill the mood if you know what I mean :)

If you happen to talk to George again, I'd be interested to know if Megaman are working on improving this.

Nick

NickD, Jul 31, 2009
  11. mrees

Aaron

What is the Max

Hi,

just found this thread through a search,
    I have 4 of these lamps installed on a circuit and they perform well.
    But they do prefer to start at 100% and then be dimmed after acouple of minutes.

I'm currently installing 20 (on one circuit) on another project and was wondering if there is a suitable (preferably din rail mount type) dimmer available that can drive this?

Any advice/guidance, would be much appreciated.

TIA, Aaron

Aaron, Aug 23, 2009
  12. mrees

Aaron

I've contacted Megaman, and they are unable to comment on dimmers. (not their product).
    Can anyone let me know/or advise how many 11W lamps can be installed onto one 2A or the new 2.5A Din rail type dimmer?
    There is something in my course notes about transformers and VA, but not dimmable CFL's??

Aaron, Aug 25, 2009
  13. mrees

NickD Moderator

The limitation is probably going to be imposed by the input capacitance of the CFL, as these are effectively an electronic transformer.

This document provides information on how to calculate the number of electronic transformers you can use per channel, for the various Clipsal dimmers:

http://www2.clipsal.com/cis/techtrain/__data/page/2799/Clipsal_280504_calc_formulas_for_Cbus.pdf

You will probably need to obtain the input capacitance of the particular lamp from the manufacturer.

Nick

NickD, Aug 25, 2009
  14. mrees

Glazza

Philips Bulbs

Guys

Slightly off topic, but after trying the Philips Dimmable CFL's on a 2a din dimmer, and found that there was an auditable hum from the bulb.

Im now using them on a 2.5a din dimmer (TE) and the noise is gone, and they appear to dim fine.

I currently have 2 per channel on the dimmer, and everything seems to be working ok.

I now see that Philips have this on there website:

Interesting as when I was talking to Philips around 2 months ago they said they were undertaking testing with Clipsal, I assume by this statement from them that testing failed - anyone from Clipsal care to comment?

Cheers
    David

Glazza, Aug 25, 2009
  15. mrees

Aaron

Thanks for the info, what value should I use for the VA.
    I've requested the capacitance value from the lamp supplier.

TIA, Aaron

Aaron, Aug 26, 2009
  16. mrees

NickD Moderator

You could ask the lamp supplier for that too..

Alternatively if they specify the Power Factor, then you can calculate the VA rating.

Power in Watts = VA x Power Factor

Nick

NickD, Aug 26, 2009
  17. mrees

NickD Moderator

OK... I've been looking into this a little more, and talking to our resident dimming guru.

Basically.... it's not that simple :(

These CFLs have input capacitance to provide EMC compliance, just like a regular electronic transformer. Unlike a regular electronic transformer however, they rectify *and filter* the incoming mains. This filter capacitance is much larger than the normal input capacitance, and creates very large current spikes on the dimmer channel, and the mains supply.

This results in a few things :
    1) buzzing from the inductors in the dimmer.. more than normal, because the current spikes are much larger than normal
    2) extra heating in these inductors, due to these large current spikes, meaning that you need to derate the channels
    3) large neutral currents, which start to affect the ability of the dimmer to perform phase control properly the more load you put on the dimmer

As for translating all this into some kind of recommendation... this is more difficult.... we are currently trying a few of these out in the lab on a L5504D1A... we will endeavour to come up with some recommendations when we've finished. In the meantime though, I wouldn't be rushing to put 10 of these per channel on any of the C-Bus dimmers.

Nick

NickD, Sep 10, 2009
  18. mrees

Aaron

What about the professional series dimmers??

For the future, would it be possible to list dimmer performance as watts, and then list number of lamps against an output as all lamps are rated in watts??

Aaron, Sep 10, 2009
  19. mrees

Glazza

And the L5504D2U please :)

Glazza, Sep 10, 2009
  20. mrees

NickD Moderator

Unlikely, because it's just not that simple.

It might be the case that all lamps carry some kind of rating which claims to be watts, but different types of load affect the dimmer in different ways.

You can't put 90 x "10W" CFLs on a 1000W dimmer for example... and it's not even as simple as saying.. you can put "x" CFLs on dimmer "y"... different brands of CFL will behave differently.

This thread was specifically about the Megaman dimmerABLE CFLs, to try and stop people going down paths where neither they nor the customer is going to be happy with the result.

Nick

NickD, Sep 11, 2009
Ask a Question