Digital Audio signal

Discussion in 'Multi-Room Audio (MRA) and MARPA' started by mdooher, Nov 5, 2010.

1. mdooher

mdooher

Ok, this will either sound like I really know what I am talking about or really don't...well about audio anyway.

I have a desktop amp and 2 others
    What I want to do is get a digital audio signal into the system without first having to convert the signal to analogue (using a DACmagic)and back to digital(using a distribution unit).

Is either one of these things possible

1 connect the optical digital input on the desktop amp to my digital source and then connect the RJ45 digital outputs to the other amps in the usual manner

2 make a cable that goes from coax digital audio source to pins 7 and 8 of RJ45 digital input of the desktop amp and then connect the RJ45 digital outputs to the other amps in the usual manner.

I know that this is possible with a matrix switcher but this project is for me, not a customer. I'm not made of money..I know I choose to live in New Zealand ...I should move to Perth or something ...but in the meantime I could do with some help.

Matthew

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2010
    mdooher, Nov 5, 2010
  2. mdooher

NickD Moderator

Unfortunately neither of these will work...

1) the digital input on the amps is local only, it's not routed to the digital out

2) the digital format on the RJ45 is the same SPDIF, however it's converted to a differential signal for distribution (RS485), so you can't just connect up the signal from a coaxial digital out.

Nick

NickD, Nov 7, 2010
  3. mdooher

mdooher

Great, well not GREAT, but that clears that up then. thanks Nick

mdooher, Nov 16, 2010
Ask a Question