Designing for performance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MichaelK, Dec 24, 2010.

1. MichaelK

MichaelK

I am about to start designing my first CBUS installation.

My system has a total of 42 input devices (for what it is worth a variety of DLT, Saturn, Classic, 30-Mech, indoor and outdoor occ sensors) and addition to 14 output modules (combination of 1A & 2A dimmers and relay modules). The system also has a colour touch and a Wiser.

When designing a new system from scratch is there an optimum way of addressing devices to acheive best overall system response times?

eg are you better off having your input devices with low group address and your output devices with higher group address so the input devices get serviced first?

MichaelK, Dec 24, 2010
  2. MichaelK

Newman

Welcome to C-Bus! That's a reasonably sized installation you've got there and throwing both a Colour C-Touch and a Wiser into the install is certainly going to give you a pretty steep learning curve! I hope you've got lots of hours allocated for commissioning things.

There is no practical performance difference for using low or high C-Bus Group Address numbers.

As far as Unit Addresses go, there is no performance difference either, but I find it useful to space them out a bit and have some meaning to each of the blocks of Unit Addresses. For example, grouping all units in the same DB into a continuous block of addresses is a good way of reminding yourself where particular units are physically located. Having all input units of the same type using a continuous block of addresses can make finding the unit in the list of units a bit faster, etc.

Newman, Dec 24, 2010
Ask a Question