Design issue...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by skyline, Dec 6, 2005.

1. skyline

skyline

I'm wondering if anyone can assist with my query. I have the attached layout for my lighting circuits and the issue is how to switch the hall lights (orange).

Now the simplest way would be to 2-way switch between the entry and family rooms but thought about using a 5753PEIRL to activate it. This item would be the best fit as the hall has glass french doors so this eliminates switching the lights on during the day.

What I would like to avoid is the following scenario:
    1. At night, and family lights (Olive or purple coloured circuits) are on.
    2. Walk into the kitchen
    3. Activate those hall lights.

It seems silly that the hall lights will activate each time I walk into the kitchen, especially if surrounding lights are on. Is it as simple as constructing if/then statements with say a Pac controler to manage this? Or perhaps using the light level sensor itself??? Although I'd imagine that if only the olive-coloured circuit is on, not a lot of light will shine directly to the hall.

The hall is roughly 6m long...

Any feedback or ideas appreciated.

Cheers
    Daniel

Attached Files:

skyline, Dec 6, 2005
  2. skyline

JohnC

I personally would forget the sensor and use good old 2-way (or 3-way with Kitchen) switches... One scenario you've completely forgotten is :

At night. Family Room lights on. Someone knocks on Front Door. You need to walk down hallway.

Using your if/then logic and a sensor, you couldn't actually switch the hall lights ON !

The secret to success is "KISS"

If you are never going to use the hall lights (which is what you have been implying in a weird kind of way), then don't install them and you won't need to control them !

It's one thing to have Home Automation, but there's a lot to be said for good-old manual control too. Nothing (and I mean nothing) drives me more mad than the use of PIR's inside a house ! There's lots of times when you'd just want to duck down the hall without turning all the lights on, or maybe have them lit dimly for effect... Our hallway light is left on sometimes (dimmed to a low level) even when we are not in there. Those things can't be done easily with a sensor.

Just my 2c worth, JC

PS: Reminded me of one of the first Clipsal marketing brochures for C-Bus v1. A large project in Sydney I think, one of the first full-integrated lighting control systems at the time. The Adelaide marketing team went to great lengths to explain one of the features in that project was having "Motion Sensors in all the Toilets"
    - ummm... think about it.... :eek:

PPS: As a lighting expert, I'd suggest you change the layout of lights / switching in the Family Room. You have only 2 banks, just one end or the other. What you should have is "task groups"... Have some lights that light walls, some over tables, etc... at least 4 groups, possibly more. That way you can use scenes dependant on what you are doing in the room. With only 2 banks of lights, it's extremely un-flexible. Bit of waste to pay for Cbus and then not use it for what it's best for... ;)

JohnC, Dec 6, 2005
  3. skyline

skyline

Although "Manual switching" is the way to go, I still think using PIR's has merit in an automation setup (Hence the name...) The hallway is most likely an incorrect application for a PIR. I think I had a scenario in the back of my head of kids not able to find the light switches at night and this was a way around that, especially as there are 2 steps between the hall and family area.

As for the family room lighting, the room is split into two areas- Left being couch/TV and right being a table. In the middle of each bank of the 6 lights is a pendent light. The left wall also has lights inside of 2 niches. I just omitted these to keep the diagram legible...Thanks for your input though JC, much appreciated...

skyline, Dec 6, 2005
  4. skyline

Wilko

In the past I've set up PIRs as per the lovely pic below. The manky pink thing is the PIR and it's field of view.

With this setup:
    • The hall lights turn on when you walk to/from the entry
    • The hall lights turn on when you walk to/from the side door (bedrooms I assume?)
    • The hall lights do NOT turn on when you walk between the family room and kitchen.
    All you need to do then is adjust your PIR so it only activates at night.

Attached Files:

Wilko, Dec 6, 2005
Ask a Question