Deleted project in Toolkit

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zorro, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Zorro

Zorro

Hi,

I have accidently deleted a project from Toolkit from my laptop, the question I have is am I able in anyway to retrieve the project and re-instate it back into Toolkit?

If this is not possible then I have an older version of the same project saved on another PC. I tried to re-instate this project by copying the XML file of this project from the PC and pasting it into the Clipsal>C-Gate 2>Tag folder on the laptop, however I am still not able to view that project. I have gone back into Toolkit and hit the refresh project button and still does not come up. Am I able to copy a project from another PC and if so are the steps I have taken correct?

I am running the latest version of Toolkit and C-Gate.

Thanking you for any assistance.

Aleks

Zorro, Nov 13, 2013
  2. Zorro

daniel C-Busser Moderator

Hi Zorro,

After deleting a project by mistake, you can try the following steps. I'll assume that the project is called HOME.

1. Before touching anything else (don't even shut down the applications!) look in C-Gate's \tag directory for HOME.xml.old. If you're lucky C-Gate hasn't got around to deleting it yet. If you see this file, copy it to another directory instantly to keep it safe. To recover it: shut down the applications, copy the file back to the \tag directory and remove the .old extension (ie. it should be named HOME.xml), restart the applications. The project should now appear in Toolkit.

2. Look for any C-Bus Toolkit archives you may have made. Look for a .cbz file, it can be opened in a zip utility and a copy of the C-Gate project file should be inside.

3. Look for any Schedule Plus archives you may have made. Schedule Plus by default includes a copy of the C-Gate project file. Look for a .cba file, it can be opened in a zip utility and a copy of the C-Gate project file is hopefully inside.

4. Find out what backup tools are installed on your computer and examine any backups made from those tools.

5. Look for old C-Gate project files. They should still work as long as they have the right extension, eg. HOME.xml. First shut down the applications, place a copy of the file in the \tag subdirectory of C-Gate, and restart the applications. Depending on the age of the file C-Bus Toolkit may prompt you to upgrade the project.

Hope this helps. The process you described sounds correct, I'm not sure why the project isn't showing. Were the applications restarted?

daniel, Nov 14, 2013
  3. Zorro

Zorro

Hi Daniel, thanks for reply. I am not sure why the procedure is not working either. I did close all the applications and then reopen them and the project was still not showing in Toolkit. I will do as you have described this evening and see if that makes any difference.

Cheers

Aleks

Zorro, Nov 15, 2013
  4. Zorro

daniel C-Busser Moderator

The only other thing I can think of is to ensure the project name is 8 characters or less (ie. exactly as it was when first created by C-Bus Toolkit).

If you open a command connection to C-Gate (via Start Menu) and type the command "PROJECT DIR" do you see your project in the list?

daniel, Nov 15, 2013
  5. Zorro

Zorro

Hi Daniel,

I was not able to carry out that last instruction, I didn't know what you meant by the command connection. I have started to rebuild the project from scratch.

Thank you for your assistance.

Aleks

Zorro, Nov 24, 2013
Ask a Question