Debugging Serial Port Code PAC

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by Charlie Crackle, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Charlie Crackle

Charlie Crackle

When you are running serial port code in the PICED Where is the serial port data going ??? COM1 and COM2 ??

Do I have to keep downloading to the PAC to test my code ??

Not being able to HALT the Hardware PAC while debugging in PICED is a real pain. Means I can not work remotely. I have to go to site to do any debugging. (so I can disconnect the PAC). Please put high up on the to do list :) :) :) little menu item that says HALT PAC

I am getting around this with group addresses that disable modules but it is complicated and I keep making mistakes.

Charles

Charlie Crackle, Nov 2, 2005
  2. Charlie Crackle

Darren Senior Member

It goes to whichever port you send it to. The WriteSerial command includes a port index.

No. It is recommended that you do all of your testing and debugging with PICED before you download to the PAC.

This is why we recommend debugging in PICED. To do remote debugging is VERY complex and is probably not going to happen any time soon :(

Darren, Nov 2, 2005
  3. Charlie Crackle

Charlie Crackle

I like debugging in spiced. Thats fine... It is just hard to debug when the PAC is running on the same network running the same code !!! All wierd thinks happen.

If the PAC in not the last item on the network it can be hard to unplug it (without breaking the cbus network in two and then joining with a cat5 coupler).

The initial develepment is fine. Home is commissioned and all is A ok.

The issue is when the customer whats a change later.

You get a call for a change.....

You go to site. You disconnect the PAC (Hope fully it is last on the bus) . You load the existing code in PICED. wierd things happen (depending on the code) till all group address learnt. You make the changes and debug. You then stop the logic. plug the PICED back in down load the code. Wired thinks happen while levels are learnt. You tell customer it will take 24 hrs for things to settle down (timers,etc ) You go home....

Compare this to the old Minder way.....

You get a call for a change.....

You ring up the minder. Connect. Make the change and debug. finished.

No weird things happening when moving from PAC to PICED. No disconnecting modules.

Most homes I service have broadband VPN access to house so I can connect via this. I have setup a USB over IP extender and this works fine. Can connect remotely to PAC USB and download new code. my issue is to debug I need to stop the PAC running existing code or download a blank program.

Are there any issues leaving the USB cable plugged in the PAC all the time ??

Please add a way to halt the code running in the PAC from PICED.

Are there any plans to beable to download PAC code from CNI (over cbus) to PAC ??

Charles

Charlie Crackle, Nov 3, 2005
  4. Charlie Crackle

Darren Senior Member

Right. I will add a function to stop the PAC from running its logic.
    No.
    OK
    Yes, but it is hard to say when it will happen.

Darren, Nov 3, 2005
  5. Charlie Crackle

Charlie Crackle

Excellent.

Doing this will be a huge help.

Thanks

Charlie Crackle, Nov 3, 2005
  6. Charlie Crackle

mikegriff

"Just so Charlie doesnt feel alone "

Quote Charlie:
    It is just hard to debug when the PAC is running on the same network running the same code !!!

Quote Darren:
    Right. I will add a function to stop the PAC from running its logic.

Mike> This really will be a big help !
    Mike

mikegriff, Nov 3, 2005
Ask a Question