Dead switches, growing as you take them off and put them back on

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by ynotbart, Jan 8, 2020.

1. ynotbart

ynotbart

I have recently had a new 8 channel powered dimmer installed, the programmer came out to set up the new channels etc but failed to correctly program the sensor and as a result at night the toilet light goes off like a strobe light at the local night club. Then about two weeks later the toilet switch, the sensor and one switch either side of the sensor on the network just stopped working.

I have checked that at every TO I have approx 31v DC so it doesn't appear to be power.

I have tried swapping the non working units to other circuits but nothing.

I have even taken working switches to try seeing if there work but no, even worse when i put the working switch back into its original location it now doesn't work either....

any ideas?

ynotbart, Jan 8, 2020
  2. ynotbart

Wonkey

Does your system have the ability to be remotely accessed.
    Then it may be your programmer trying to fix stuff, or if you haven't paid him disable equipment.
    Suggest you talk to your programmer

Wonkey, Jan 8, 2020
  3. ynotbart

ynotbart

so fortunately it doesn't have the ability for remote log in.........the issue doesnt appear to be software related.

ynotbart, Jan 8, 2020
  4. ynotbart

chromus

this doesn’t make a lot of sense. You can remove an input device, put it in a box for years in theory and then put it back in. As long as no device has been given the same address in the mean time the network won’t know the difference.

The only time you might see any effect is if that unit had logic and was performing logic tasks. Even then the moment it’s readded the functions will be restored as long as no addresses have changed.

chromus, Jan 8, 2020
  5. ynotbart

chromus

Is it possible that you have a cbus connection broken out to an RJ45 socket and that has been connected accidentally to a LAN NIC/switch?

My wife did that once after a painter had unplugged the cables to our HTPC. It took out all of the CBUS units till the PC was unplugged.

it didn’t break any programming.

chromus, Jan 8, 2020
    Mr Mark likes this.
  6. ynotbart

ynotbart

Agreed, I can confirm that there's no logic on the network..........Literally I take a working switch off, put it onto the TO where another switch doesnt work then put it back in its original location and then the switch is dead.......I have no idea.

ynotbart, Jan 8, 2020
  7. ynotbart

ynotbart

I can confirm that nothing has been connected via RJ45 or any other means....Its gone from a strobe light effect in the toilet due to the sensor outside of that room been incorrectly programmed to slowly all the switches failing each time I connect a new one. I can also confirm that I have 31.6v DC at all TO's so its not a power issue.

ynotbart, Jan 8, 2020
  8. ynotbart

ynotbart

No logic on site at all.........if I take off a working switch and put it where I've taken off the switches that dont work, nothing. But then when I put that switch that was working back in its original location its now dead to.....

ynotbart, Jan 8, 2020
  9. ynotbart

chromus

Are you sure that you are reconnecting the switches the right way around?

Assuming the wiring is correct BLUE+ORANGE is +ve, BLUE STRIPE+ORANGESTRIPE -ve

Please don't think I am treating you like you're stupid, but being remote it's better to cover off the daft stuff which I would normally do automatically at a client site.

Also check the polarity using your multi-meter to ensure the sparky hasn't swapped the wires somewhere.

I have seen crazy 5h1t done by sparkys, including twisting and taping actives in a board cos the cable was cut to short rather than using appropriate box / screw downs o_O

chromus, Jan 8, 2020
  10. ynotbart

Wonkey

There has been issues around the short ping fly leads being incorrectly labelled, with regard to the polarity. Visually check the new against old.
    Do you have the ability/skills to do a network scan?
    If so scan the network and confirm which units are present.
    If you cannot let the forum know where you are and maybe someone will PM you and offer their services.
    You can be reasonably sure that the people involved here know what they are talking about.

Wonkey, Jan 9, 2020
  11. ynotbart

Mr Mark

I agree with Wonkey - the fly leads for eDLTs were notorious for this when they first came out.

Mr Mark, Jan 9, 2020
  12. ynotbart

Mr Mark

+1 on this one. Had a job at the local university where the contracting company changed polarity half way through one of the three storey wings.

Mr Mark, Jan 9, 2020
    jboer likes this.
Ask a Question