DCDALCIP250-2 Interface

Discussion in 'DALI Software' started by Memphix, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Memphix

Memphix

I was under the impression that this included an interface to DALI that would allow us to address ballasts etc.

I'm advised that I need to purchase a USB to Ethernet cable AND a Licence dongle for this to work :eek:

Is it possible to just use a third party USB to Ethernet cable and program away?

If not, what advantage is there over my existing Tridonic interface? ...its a licence to program schedule plus etc.

Memphix, Mar 26, 2014
  2. Memphix

Memphix

Memphix, Mar 26, 2014
  3. Memphix

Roosta

Umm.. I hate to say it but i think you have been fed some false information and are heading down the wrong path..

From my limited understanding the unit you are referring to includes 2 dali suitable powersupplies and line sci's, intended to be used with the dali line controllers.. All in the one unit, opposed to the old way of doing things with a line controller, 2 seperate sci's and 2 seperate power supplies..

To commision the fittings you will still need to use a pc to dali interface of some sort.. I use a tridonic serial to dali interface with a usb to serial convertor..

In order for the dali commisioning software to allow you to program the fittings on the line you will require the programmers usb dongle which is either given to you during clipsal dali training or can be purchased seperately..

As for where the ethernet story has come from well maybe there has been some confusion but i believe only the line controllers and wall controllers are programmed via ethernet when it comes to dali..

But this is all from memory from a while ago.. Please let me know if i am wrong..

Cheers..

Roosta, Mar 26, 2014
  4. Memphix

Memphix

If I've understood the tech' phone call...

I believe this device is a serial interface for each DALI line (as well as power supply). Technically you should be using Clipsals USB to RJ45 serial converter (and if you don't you risk damaging the device). The licence dongle is not required however.

It is not an ethernet port, it is a serial port using a RJ45 connection.

Memphix, Mar 28, 2014
  5. Memphix

Roosta

Roosta, Mar 28, 2014
  6. Memphix

DarylMc

I love my little serial device servers.
    Had to address a ballast the other day and used Dali Tool and the SCI quite successfully via Ethernet.

On the site it has always bugged me that the DALI ballasts were the only thing which are unable to be programmed remotely.
    Though in this case I can't justify the cost of 2 SCI's and a 2 port device server.

Thankfully only 1 ballast failure out of 100 in 5 years.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2014
    DarylMc, Mar 29, 2014
  7. Memphix

Memphix

Roosta - does that mean that some pins/cores are + and others are -... just another Line connection?

So you could then have one terminated RJ45 plug and wire a DALI interface to it? This would make connecting the DALI interface a piece of cake rather than trying to squeeze it into the terminals...:rolleyes:

Memphix, Apr 2, 2014
  8. Memphix

Roosta

If you mean the Line RJ45 Terminals, then no, if I remember correctly they are actually Serial via RJ45, between the Line Controller, and the Powersupply/interface.. The interface, converts the serial from line controller to Dali..

Roosta, Apr 2, 2014
  9. Memphix

Elliott L

Does anyone know the pinout for the DCCABKIT6 cable. I cannot find mine and need one in a hurry?? I am assuming it is a straight through cable from USB to RJ45 without any interface between?

Elliott L, Sep 18, 2021
Ask a Question