DALI Programming

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by anupam, Dec 25, 2007.

1. anupam

anupam

Hii ,

First of All Merry Christmas to you All.

I am programming DALI Gateway for the first time.This installation is for a 7 storey building . Each floor having 2 C-Bus networks with atleast 15 dali ballasts for each floor. Reading all the previous threads made me play safe with number of DALI ballasts being connected to each network of DALI gateway. The Problem starts when i begin programming. Do i need to program(address) the Philips DALI ballast first with the philips software (MULTIDIM)provided. I tried washing my Hands:cool: for addressing the ballast with this software. But found cannot change the address anywhere as the ballast takes a random address in the software. .:( So went ahead with my C-Bus DALI gateway programming. Found that by default it takes 1st ballast as Ballast 0 and 2nd as Ballast 1 and so on. Now got confused here. Do i really need to address my ballast. If not... Can there be some problems in the future ?
    Can i get some kind of documentation for addressing and programming the same.

Please Help

Regards,

Anupam

anupam, Dec 25, 2007
  2. anupam

sandip1181

Assigning the default dali address problem

Dear all,

- I am also getting the same problem that, not able to provide the Default address to fresh dali ballast....

- How can I provide the Default address to DALI ballast? Can Any body tell which command is used to provide the default dali address to fresh dali ballast?

- Awaiting for your valuable reply from any one?

Thanks,

Sandip Nandwana

sandip1181, Aug 18, 2012
  3. anupam

ashleigh Moderator

It is normal for DALI ballasts to get a random address- this is how the DALI standard REQUIRES a DALI device to get an address.

After you have done address assignment, you need to identify each lamp / luminaire / ballast one at a time, and change the addresses (1 at a time) so that they make sense to you.

Either that or write the addresses on your building plan.

DALI kind of sucks, in this respect.

ashleigh, Aug 18, 2012
  4. anupam

samluo

yes too bad of the address,most headache thing in DALI. when your lamp addresses disordered in mistake, you will be hard to recovery the addresses same as before. as the new addresses generated will be random.

for resolve such problem
    I ve made an extra fixed short address marked as 0,1,2,....
    and extra fixed H M L address, I set a special command (not in standard dali) to load the fixed address to standard DALI address, so people do not need to worry if their lamp address missed.

samluo, Aug 21, 2012
  5. anupam

Colin1142

If you use the Tridonic commisioning software the ballast numbers are the same in the C-Bus software, this helps a bit!

Colin1142, Aug 21, 2012
  6. anupam

frantic

The new Tridonic master Configurator software is different now to the old Tridonic Config tool. One difference is it starts groups at 0 which is different to the DALI Gateways which first Group is 1. So when you map you groups DALI Group = 0 and C-Bus Group =1 and so on
    This can create a few problems if you are not on the ball.

Get the Master Configurator software and a DALI SCI interface or invest in another DALI programming device like a DALI ADDICT from Creative Lighting and you will then be in control of all your addressing.

frantic, Aug 22, 2012
  7. anupam

samluo

we think 0 as start, but people may prefer 1 .
    clipsal choose people prefered. that is not a problem.

samluo, Aug 24, 2012
  8. anupam

saikumar

dali programming procedure and the wiring diagram

Dear sir/madam

Can u please share me the dali programming procedure and the wiring diagram beacuse iam trying for the first time for the control of dali gateway with dali dimmable driver

saikumar, Apr 26, 2016
  9. anupam

DarylMc

Hi saikumar
    Since I don't know your previous experience I will briefly describe DALI and CBus.

DALI and CBus are two separate control systems.
    CBus DALI Gateway is the link between the two networks.

First you need to ensure the DALI ballasts are wired in accordance with DALI specification, addressed and have DALI power supplies for the DALI network.

Tools required to program the DALI ballasts include a DALI interface and DALI configuration software.
    You will source this from a DALI manufacturer eg Tridonic.

On the CBus network you will create group addresses for the DALI ballasts.

The CBus DALI Gateway is then used to map CBus addresses to DALI addresses.

Instructions for the CBus DALI Gateway can be found here.
    http://www2.clipsal.com/cis/technical/product_groups/cbus/system_units_and_accessories/dali_gateway

DarylMc, Apr 26, 2016
Ask a Question