DALI "Mexican Wave" Effect

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Frank, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Frank

Frank

I've got a bit of a problem ...

Has anyone out there experienced the "Mexican Wave" effect when sending C-Bus scenes across a DALI gateway?

If you set the scene on the DALI side of the gateway, the effect goes away.

Still not convinced that this is an entirely C-Bus issue, and suspect that there may be a way of programming out this effect from the C-Bus side of the gateway so that the C-Bus scenes can be used.

Frank, Dec 10, 2008
  2. Frank

______.

I have seen this problem when sending the ballest address to control the fitting (eg DALI Ballest 00-64). It happens because each ballest is an indirvidual C-bus address and if you sending addresses at once, c-bus/dali gateway cannot send out every command at once.

It's not really a problem, even with C-Bus if you turn on 60 to 100 addresses it's not instant, it's just generally you don't have an address per fitting so you don't notice it as much.

The way I control the DALI fittings is to use DALI Groups (you have 16 per loop). Often lights are always going to be controlled together. If that is so assign them a DALI Group and then use this address from C-Bus to control the lights. This will mean you're not sending as many addresses each time and should lessen the 'wave' effect.

Hope it helps :)

______., Dec 10, 2008
  3. Frank

Frank

DALI "Mexican Wave"

Thanks ..

Appreciate your response.

Frank, Dec 11, 2008
Ask a Question