DALI, can C-BUS change RGB values?

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by theboyg, Dec 6, 2018.

1. theboyg

theboyg

I'm looking at some LED strips for a renovation and rather than standard dimming wondering if the C-BUS DALI module can send alternate RGB values in addition to dimming. Nothing stood out in the docs to suggest you could.

Many thanks

theboyg, Dec 6, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. theboyg

Ashley

The Cbus Dali module simply maps Cbus group addresses to Dali addresses, so the capabilities of the system are determined by the Dali driver you are using, not Cbus. Some Dali led drivers just map the RGB leds to 3 Dali addresses so you would control them with 3 Cbus group addresses. Other Dali Led drivers will use one Dali address for brightness and a second for Color which then get mapped to 2 Cbus group addresses. There are other variations as well. What Dali drivers are you using?

Ashley, Dec 6, 2018
    theboyg likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. theboyg

theboyg

This would be my first foray into the DALI world, so I've yet to select a driver. It's purely for some RGB LED strips.

So far, I'm not seeing many options for an RGB Dimmer, so I do wonder if it's worth it and just stick with a LE dimmer approach. Any recommendations for DALI RGB dimmers are welcome!

Wonder if this is an option? https://www.amazon.co.uk/DALI-RGB-DIMMING-Controller-Type/dp/B07FDGPZFB

theboyg, Dec 7, 2018
  4. theboyg

NickD Moderator

That one is a DALI Device Type 8 driver which uses new DALI commands that the current C-Bus DALI gateway doesn't support.

You should be able to find a simpler driver that just uses 3 separate DALI addresses to control the R, G, and B channels, which you would be able to control from the C-Bus DALI Gateway.

Something like this : https://www.inlite.com.au/products/tridonic/led-c003-dali-rgb-controller

Nick

NickD, Dec 14, 2018 at 3:04 AM
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question