DALI Ballasts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tigerforce, Apr 18, 2007.

1. tigerforce

tigerforce

Just wondering if anyone has come across these DALI faults before.

I have a C-Bus installation of 15 networks each with a DALI Gateway & 2 DALI networks. The Installation is about 5 months old & I am starting to get a few problems. On a few of the DALI networks I have turned up on site to discover that some of the fittings no longer know what DALI address they are or what DALI group they belong to. The only way I am able to rectify it is buy resetting the entire network & reprogramming again.

On another site all the fittings knew what address they were but had forgotten what DALI group they belonged to.

It seems very unlikely that the DALI gateway could be causing this, I suspect it is the ballasts themselves. The ballasts in both installations are Osram, not sure of the model.

I would greatly appreciate any help if anyone has come across these sort of problems with DALI.

Cheers

tigerforce, Apr 18, 2007
  2. tigerforce

Phil.H

The first question is how are you programming the Osram DALI ballasts ?

Phil.H, Apr 18, 2007
  3. tigerforce

tigerforce

Hi

I am using a tridoninc DALI SCI with winDIM from my laptop.

Cheers

tigerforce, Apr 19, 2007
  4. tigerforce

samluo

two way to reprogram address:
    1. reprogram the adresses on the bus by software.
    2. just reprogram the address losted ballasts individually, you need to disconnect the ballast from original DALI BUS first and connect to a controller individually and set a wanted address, then connect the ballast back the original DALI BUS.

and reprogram group: it is simple if you know its short address, just use a config software and set the parameter that is all.

samluo, Nov 3, 2009
  5. tigerforce

darrenblake

DALI ballast commisioning

Hi,

The issue you are experiencing is due to the original DALI programming being store in the volatile memory of the Osram ballast. Over time, some of these ballasts have lost power and have lost the programmed data stored within.

you will need to "force" the programming into non volatile memory. The process to do this is:
    1/ Address and program the ballasts
    2/ Disconnect the DALI bus cable from you DALI gateway
    3/ Switch mains power OFF to the fittings.
    4/ Wait 60 seconds
    5/ Restore mains power to the fittings.
    6/ Re-connect the DALI bus cable.

This process will force the programming to the non-voltile memory on the ballasts.

It is worth noting this process is only required for OSRAM ballasts.

darrenblake, Nov 4, 2009
Ask a Question