CTouch V3 using wifi dongle

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by alepore, Dec 5, 2014.

1. alepore

alepore

Hi All.

Has anyone successfully been able to use a wifi dongle on a colour touch screen V3?

I have a screen that has no Ethernet cable to it and am wanting to connect this to the network for remote access using wifi.

I have attempted to connect the 2 different WiFi dongles below with no success.
    ASUS USB-N13
    D-Link DWA-140

Thanks in advance

alepore, Dec 5, 2014
  2. alepore

ashleigh Moderator

My rough guess is that this is unlikely to work because unless there are drivers pre-installed, then the dongles won't have drivers.

The colour touchscreen does not support external load of drivers, or windows update (for all kinds of good reasons) and therefore it can't go fetch drivers either.

Besides, even if it did support driver load via windows update there is a bit of a fundamental breaking point: it needs a working network connection and if there is not one then it can't get drivers anyhow.

ashleigh, Dec 6, 2014
  3. alepore

jboer

It would be sad if what you say Ashleigh ,is the case as it was one of the 'big improvements' that our sales rep told us about the V3.

I haven't needed to use it yet but it has been at the back of my mind as a 'get out of jail' if needed. I will investigate more on Monday when I am back in the office and can get hold of a V3... I will have a look through the drivers loaded and see what there is..

jboer, Dec 6, 2014
  4. alepore

jboer

Apologies for the double post:

However the drivers that are currently loaded on the CTC for usb wifi seem to be mostly for realtek chips:

RTL8192su
    rt2870
    rt2860

There could be others but as it is a stripped embedded system there doesn't appear to be.

Searching on ebay for those chipsets will find heaps, doing a quick search the D-Link DWA-130 uses the 8192su chip, where as the 140 that you tried uses a ralink chip.

Hope that helps/works!

jboer, Dec 6, 2014
  5. alepore

rikaussie

You might want to consider using an Ethernet-Wifi adaptor rather than USB Wifi adaptor?

http://www.iogear.com/product/GWU627/
    http://www.netgear.com/home/products/connected-entertainment/gaming-home-theater/WNCE2001.aspx

These are pretty small so could be hidden in the wall. And can be powered from the USB port of the CTouch with no need to install a plug pack etc...

rikaussie, Dec 7, 2014
  6. alepore

alepore

thanks for the info jboer, Ill see if i can get my hands on a D-Link DWA-130 and give that a go.....

I was provided the models from tech support.....
    from what i was told there are 3 models that are ment to work with the preloaded drivers.
    D-Link DWA-140, ASUS USB-N13, Belkin F5D8053 (which I haven't been able to find to purchase anywhere, don't think its available anymore)

I also tired putting the screen on the Internet with a long long data cable patched into the modem, got it on the internet no problems, tried to see if i could windows to go online and detect the driver for me but had so success. (Obviously Reiterating what ashleigh stated....)

alepore, Dec 7, 2014
  7. alepore

jboer

jboer, Dec 7, 2014
  8. alepore

alepore

D-Link DWA-140 - (H/W Ver: D1 )
    ASUS USB-N13 - (H/W Ver: B1)

alepore, Dec 8, 2014
  9. alepore

jboer

hmmm Well technically the ASUS should work,

If I get a chance over the next week or so I might get a USB wifi dongle and give it ago myself...

jboer, Dec 8, 2014
  10. alepore

alepore

Hi Jboer,

I got my hands on a D-Link DWA-130, it uses an RTL8192su driver which is is meant to be pre-loaded onto the screen,

Had absolutely no success!

Pretty disappointed that it doesn't recognise the device.
    IMG_3698i.jpg

did you have any success?

alepore, Dec 15, 2014
  11. alepore

jboer

Hey,

I totally forgot about this till I saw the dongle in my eBay list.

After a little stuffing around I have just managed to get the N13 working, but unfortunately I did have to load drivers myself, which was a bit unfortunate, but not hard.

How did you go?

jboer, Feb 27, 2015
  12. alepore

alepore

how did you manage to get the drivers on the screen? i tired so many drivers and none of them would accept,

but im still keen to get it working with the asus N13

for now i used this for my testing purposes:
    http://www.iogear.com/product/GWU627/

but after 3 weeks of running solid, its now dropped its connection, haven't yet determined what the cause is...

alepore, Feb 28, 2015
  13. alepore

jboer

Hey,

So in the end the easiest for me was to first plug the screen into my wired network. (I did try a few USB sticks but as I suspected the drivers weren't loaded for them either)

Then if you plug a USB keyboard into the screen you can access your usual start menu with the Windows key. From there just use IE to go to http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/USB-N13_B1/DR_USB_N13_B1_1005.zip

Download the file extract it, then plug in the Wifi dongle, go to Device Manager as you have done previously, click on the unknown wifi device, update driver, browse to where you extracted the download, select the WinXP directory and click ok!

That was pretty much all I needed to do, it then loaded the drivers and (maybe after a restart?) I was able to select and connect to wifi networks using the windows wifi manager as you have shown.

J

Look Ma! No Wires!

[​IMG]

jboer, Feb 28, 2015
  14. alepore

nsa195

Can all of this work on my 5000CTC2 ?

Plugged in a USB keyboard, no response. I might have an older keyboard with the PS2 keyboard connector somewhere in the house, if the CTC2 requires that.

nsa195, Apr 14, 2015
  15. alepore

jboer

Hey nsa,

The wifi stuff only really works on a V3 screen. While it may be possible to get it to work on a V2 you would have to muck around with it and see what you can do. If you did do that though, you probably want to be out of your Warranty period :)

jboer, Apr 15, 2015
Ask a Question