CTouch resetting

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by mattalot, Jan 22, 2018.

1. mattalot

mattalot

Hi Guys,
    I did an install last year with a CTouch spectrum operating some lighting schedules. The client got their maintenance sparkie to add some more schedules, since they did that the touch screen has been randomly resetting. They have replaced the unit with a new one but still does the same thing. I tried reflashing the firmware, and removed a couple of the new schedules. Has anyone experienced this before? The only other thing I can think of is to delete their program and install my original one. This is the message they receive, seems to happen randomly. Thanks for any help. IMG_20180120_074749.jpg

mattalot, Jan 22, 2018
  2. mattalot

NickD Moderator

Seems odd.... is there any logic running?

Nick

NickD, Jan 23, 2018
  3. mattalot

mattalot

The touch has a logic engine but there is no logic used.

mattalot, Jan 24, 2018
  4. mattalot

Ashley

Check all the cabling. As the unit is bus powered any cable fault will cause the unit to restart intermittently.

Ashley, Jan 24, 2018
  5. mattalot

mattalot

OK, would that cause it to lose the time and date settings if it lost power? It's worth a try looking into that.

mattalot, Jan 24, 2018
  6. mattalot

jboer

yes, if it has powered down long enough for the Cap to have discharged then it will loose its time and date.

jboer, Jan 24, 2018
  7. mattalot

NickD Moderator

Is there anything else on the C-Bus network that might be setting the time incorrectly? Any third party devices?

NickD, Jan 24, 2018
  8. mattalot

NickD Moderator

Whilst this is true, unless the supercap is faulty, it would have to power down for quite some time (from memory its hours if not days, assuming it's been powered UP long enough to fully charge) for the time to be lost.

NickD, Jan 24, 2018
  9. mattalot

jboer

Out of interest then, if something else was setting the time on the network why would the CTouch think it was incorrect? Does it do a comparison of the network time and what it thinks the time should be?

I guess the main question is: What are the conditions required for a CTouch to deem the time/date as invalid?

Also for most of the Spectrums, I have found it it only be an hour or 2, we have a couple of sites where they are built into panels that get moved around and if you disconnect one (that had been running for days without a disconnection) then they ask for the time/date to be set.

jboer, Jan 24, 2018
  10. mattalot

Ashley

I don't know how the spectrum operates internally, but according to the time keeping protocol any time transmitted on the bus is assumed to be correct and every device should update its time accordingly. It is up to the sending device to make sure it is correct.

The spectrum should be able to request a time update from the system assuming another clock master is operating, but this doesn't seem to be happening here.

Certainly a spectrum touchscreen shouldn't loose its time for a short power outage. Given that the device has been replaced there must be something else going on here. I just can't think of what it could be though :(

Ashley, Jan 24, 2018
  11. mattalot

jboer

That was my presumption so I was wondering what the Spectrum does to determine that it 'thinks' it may be incorrect...

jboer, Jan 24, 2018
  12. mattalot

NickD Moderator

Time is a tricky thing to validate, so there's a limit to what can be done, but some basic sanity checks are possible... like checking that the year is not set to something before the product even existed..

I just checked, and it looks like it stores the time when the power is removed or the unit it reset in a controlled manner and compares this time with the time from the RTC when it starts up. If there is more than 2 days difference it flags the time as invalid and shows the page above.

Given it wasn't doing this before the changes, and 2 different units do the same thing, it would seem like something in the changes is causing a crash, which would cause the power fail time to not be set.

You may need to contact tech support to help work through it to identify the problem.

Nick

NickD, Jan 25, 2018
    jboer likes this.
Ask a Question