CTouch BW 5000CT unable to transfer project via cbus

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by Barry24, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Barry24

Barry24

I have had a B&W C-Touch installed for a couple of years and sucessfully transferred projects serially using USB/RS232 interface from my laptop. This was always a bit of a pain as I had to unscrew it from the wall to access the RS232 port, but it did work.
    Current firmware version of 5000CT is 3.51.0 as indicated in the attached Figure1 from the toolkit.

I recently added some shutter relays to the network and rather than unscrew the touchscreen from the wall to transfer some new scenes, I chose to transfer via CBUS using a CNI. In hindsight this appears to have been a mistake.

I confirmed that the cbus unit address in PICED was set to 102 (the address of the touchscreen in toolkit as per figure 1), and proceeded to 'connect to C-BUS' and 'connect to unit'. All this worked fine.

I selected 'transfer project to unit...' and was prompted with figure 2. I thought it was confirming the device to transfer to, and knowing that 102 was the correct unit, proceeded with the transfer. I didn't realise that the firmware version was not what was on the unit and needed verification as well (until I had read some posts as part of troubleshooting).

The transfer proceeded as expected (figure 3) and when completed gave a successful response (figure 4 and 5). All looked great, however when I went to the C-Touch, it had a message on the screen stating "Please program this unit before use". I tried powering down and powering up the cbus network but the message remains.

Reading through the Clipsal PICED FAQs, this appears to be a sympton of the user configuration being corrupted and the solution is to transfer a CTouch project to the CTouch.

I have tried connecting to the unit via serial using my USB/RS232 cable which has worked in the past, but the unit will no longer connect via serial. I have tried subsequent loads via Cbus. The unit is still recognised and able to connect via cbus, but the same result occurs after subsequent transfers.

Another forum post (http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-1320.html) had a similar issue, however my CTouch is not continually rebooting - it just sits on the "Please program this unit before use" screen with no progress bar.
    Has anyone else come across this issue? Any ideas on how to correct this, or have I cooked the CTouch beyond repair?

I am using PICED 4.9.2 - would reinstalling an older version of PICED that corresponds to actual firmare of the device (3.51.0) resolve the issue? I think my previous firmware load to the CTouch was on PICED 4.8.3 but I can't be certain. The compatibility sheet on the download sites does not list the CTouch firmware associated with the PICED version.
    Does anyone know what PICED version I should try?

Any help would be very gratefully received.

Attached Files:

Barry24, Mar 3, 2012
  2. Barry24

Darren Senior Member

In this case, the error is being raised because the format of the configuration file is incompatible with the firmware.

It should be possible to fix the unit.

It should work. I have never tried though.

I don't have the compatibility information at hand. In PICED, if you open a C-Touch project then select the Help/Software Properties menu item, it shows which versions of C-Touch firmware it is compatible with.

The easiest solution is probably trial and error. Install an older version of PICED and see if it is compatible with firmware 3.51 and if it is, transfer a project via C-Bus. If that fixes it, then update to the most recent PICED, then update the C-Touch via serial.

Darren, Mar 3, 2012
  3. Barry24

tobex

Sometimes it is necessary to do a hard reset before sending the project. That is, pull the plug out.

tobex, Mar 4, 2012
  4. Barry24

Barry24

It Worked!! It was PICED 4.8.3 that was compatible with 3.51.0, so the project transferred via cbus successfully, and returned the C-Touch to an operational state. I was then able to connect serially and download 3.62.0 firmware from PICED 4.10.1.
    Really appreciate your help Darren. Huge sigh of relief :)

Barry24, Mar 4, 2012
Ask a Question