CTC and remote connection via wiser

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wiser 1 Controller' started by constantcharge, Mar 15, 2010.

1. constantcharge

constantcharge

Hi Guys,

I have a wiser and 2 ctc's, and am having issues connecting to them remotley.

I can remotley connect to wiser and see that the ctc's are online but am unable to download to them.
    Give a authorisation error.
    I have set a 4 digit number for the remote connect password.
    Does it need to be longer?

Anything I should check?

Tried to get customer to change the password on touch screen but there is not option to do this as it is blanked out...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2010
    constantcharge, Mar 15, 2010
  2. constantcharge

NickD Moderator

I'm not the Wiser/CTouch expert, but I think you need to have a password set on the the CTC for project transfer before the Wiser will allow you to do a remote transfer... could this be it?

You set this on the "Internet" tab of the Project Details Wizard, under "Remote Connection". This is under the CTC project, so if it's not there already you'll have to visit the site to put it in before you can do a remote transfer.

Nick

NickD, Mar 15, 2010
  3. constantcharge

constantcharge

Hi Nick,

yea I set the remote password on ctc with 4 digit password eg 1234.
    But when connecting it give the autorise error. Both screens show in the transfer utility but give same error. Both at current firmware using latest piced 4.8.1

edit..
    I have sent a project with a new password (pressed create instead of using my own) if this doesnt work im out of ideas. I can connect to wiser download to it, connect via toolkit and scan network, just cant connect to the ctouch's to download.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2010
    constantcharge, Mar 15, 2010
  4. constantcharge

Matty

Hi constantcharge,

I suspect the reason you get authorisation failed in this case is because the transfer utility cannot connect to ports correctly.
    In the scenario where you are using the wiser to connect to the CTC the wiser does the authorisation. If you were remotely programming a CTC without a wiser the CTC would so the authorisation.

There are 2 ways for you to connect to a CTC through a wiser over the internet. (It sounds to me like you are doing (A)).

(A)
    1. Start the 'Colour C-Touch Transfer Utility' and select 'Remote Connection'.
    2. Enter the URL or IP address and password. The password is the wiser project password and not the CTC project password.
    3. The port number that the wiser is listening on is 8336.
    4. The client side router will need to allow this port or map an external port to 8336. If you map an external port use this new mapped number in the transfer utility.
    5. Select 'Search for CTC's via the Wiser' and then select 'Auto Search'.
    6. The wiser will do the hard yards looking for CTC's and you'll get the a list of units it can find on its local network.
    7. When you select the one you want to program, the transfer utility will attempt to connect to the wiser on ports 9000 and 9001. The client side router will need to allow these 2 ports. The wiser then maps these ports through to the CTC.

(B)
    1. Start the 'Colour C-Touch Transfer Utility' and select 'Remote Connection'.
    2. Enter the URL or IP address and password. The password is the wiser project password and not the CTC project password.
    3. The port number that the wiser is listening on is 8336.
    4. The client side router will need to allow this port or map an external port to 8336. If you map an external port use this new mapped number in the transfer utility.
    5. Select 'Search for CTC's via the Wiser' and then select 'Fixed IP'.
    6. You'll need to know the CTC's address on its local network and enter this.
    7. When you click ok the transfer utility will attempt to connect to the CTC through the wiser at the local IP address. The transfer utility will attempt to connect to the wiser on ports 9000 and 9001. The client side router will need to allow these 2 ports. The wiser then maps these ports through to the CTC. If its not there or ports aren't available you'll get a fail message.

For completeness here is how to program the CTC over the internet without a wiser.

1. Ensure that the CTC project has a password. If the CTC project doesn't have a password it will only allow project transfers from the same network it lives on.
    2. Start the 'Colour C-Touch Transfer Utility' and select 'Remote Connection'.
    3. Enter the URL or IP address and CTC project password.
    4. The port number that the CTC is listening on is 8336.
    5. The client side router needs to be pre-configured to map a external port to 8336 on the CTC's IP address. Since you know this external port number enter this is the port number field.
    7. When you click ok the transfer utility will attempt to connect to the CTC on port 8081. This client side router will need to allow this port.

Regards,

Matty

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2010
    Matty, Mar 16, 2010
  5. constantcharge

constantcharge

Hi Matty,

I totally forgot about ports 9000,9001.

the wiser is hanging off the back of the customers router. should have setup remote connection to their router as well :(

I will see if I can get the ports added and see how it goes then.

I assume that part B also needs port 9000 and 9001 as I have tried doing it both ways with the wiser password and it still fails.
    I checked this with wireshark and its trying to connect on port 9000 for both A & B methods.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2010
    constantcharge, Mar 16, 2010
  6. constantcharge

Matty

Ah yes, you're right. I've corrected part (B) above.

Matty, Mar 17, 2010
  7. constantcharge

constantcharge

I thought I would try this and set it up at home,
    following ports opened.

all ports are forward to wiser.

can conect using toolkit and control wiser on port 8080. can download project to wiser all ok.

tried to connect to ctc to download, using wiser password through external connection, still getting same error.

I have attached the wireshark log if you can explain what is going on. I wasnt logging the ctc side only the laptop i was trying to connect with...

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2010
    constantcharge, Mar 18, 2010
  8. constantcharge

Matty

According to the trace I can see the following:
    -Your PC has made a connection the wiser
    -The wiser has found 1 touch screen
    -You have clicked on the touch screen in the list
    -The wiser forwarded ports 9000 and 9001 to the touch screen

Then nothing happened beyond this. No connection was attempted to ports 9000 & 9001. No disconnection occurred from 8336. NOTHING!

It looks like this wireshark trace was taken from the same network as the transfer utility. Can you confirm this?

Do you have a firewall that is blocking ports 9000 & 9001 from opening?

Matty, Mar 19, 2010
  9. constantcharge

constantcharge

Hi Matty,

Ok yep sorry that was from the pc that I was using with the transfer utility.

What I have done now is run 2 pc's one on the local and one on external network with wireshark.

I have attached the logs.

internal and exteranl files.

A brief explination of the network

billion router is modem / router (doing all dhcp/firewall etc.)
    ip address 192.168.1.1

wiser is sitting at -192.168.1.20 (not using the WAN port , lan access enabled in piced)

cni -192.168.1.21

I have disabled the firewall for these tests no difference. I definatly have port fowarded all ports correctly. I have done this many times for exteranl ftp/multiple pc control/etc.. so i am confidant this has been done correct.

Could it be that it is something with the way the network is setup.
    I have setup almost all wisers I have installed using wiser in this method.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers.

Attached Files:

constantcharge, Mar 19, 2010
  10. constantcharge

constantcharge

Attached is screen of ports forwarded.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2010
    constantcharge, Mar 22, 2010
  11. constantcharge

Matty

It turns out there is a problem with the port forwarding routine when the wiser is configured in LAN mode. The wiser seems to reject the remote connection from the transfer utility if the connection is not through the WAN side.

Regards,

Matty

Matty, Mar 24, 2010
Ask a Question