creating scenes and operate with universal remote

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by madhawa.weerasooriya, Jan 11, 2011.

1. madhawa.weerasooriya

madhawa.weerasooriya

Hi newman,

Pls help me on following matter,

I need to automate a boad room with cbus and need to accomodate "Universal remote "too

I need to have some scenes as follows for example,

scen 1- presentation mode - turn of lights slowly and turn on over head projector and screen simultaniously.with a single press

Scene 2- V con mode- turn on selected lights and turn on Vcon screen and camera with a single press.

What i need is to activate these scence with the single press of a button available in the universal remote controler.

Is it possible????and what are the minimum units that i need to use with Universal remote other that the relays that use for lighting circuits..

Thx

madhawa.weerasooriya, Jan 11, 2011
  2. madhawa.weerasooriya

Newman

Yes, this is definitely possible.

You will need a unit that is capable of receiving IR commands from the Universal Remote. You can use a Neo switch, a Multisensor or a Touchscreen for this purpose. These products can store scenes and trigger those scenes from received IR commands.

If you have another unit on your network where you can store scenes, you could also use a 2000 series switch with IR and use that to remotely trigger the scenes stored in the other device.

Using the above devices you would use 1 button on the universal remote control for each scene.

Newman, Jan 11, 2011
  3. madhawa.weerasooriya

madhawa.weerasooriya

Thanks for your promt reply...

one more thing to know that whether I could send a command through IR to neo switch and the projector,screen at a single press of a assigned key on the universal remote???? is that universal remote capable of sending IR command to third party unit(over head projector) and the neo switch at the same time.????

Rgds.

madhawa.weerasooriya, Jan 12, 2011
  4. madhawa.weerasooriya

Newman

Many universal IR Remote controls support the sending of IR Macros (multiple IR commands being transmitted) in response to a button press. I can't answer you regarding the capabilities of the Universal IR Remote Control you have. The best place to start would be the instructions that came with your remote control.

Newman, Jan 12, 2011
  5. madhawa.weerasooriya

madhawa.weerasooriya

Thanks Newman...

This unit have a capability of creating macros which is available with me.Means that i can creat a macro sequence as follows

Turn off lights(conected to cbus and scen created in neo switch)
    turn on the projector(with IR)
    open the screen(with IR)

Rgds

madhawa.weerasooriya, Jan 12, 2011
  6. madhawa.weerasooriya

znelbok

THe problem here now is that if the projector and C-Bus IR input unit are not in the same line of sight for the remote then the macro will [appear to] fail.

Clipsal had an IR output module a while back - not sure if it is still available or not.

You may have to look into some other way of triggering the projector or other device.

I have set up a conference room with two projectors where when you turn on one (either via tthe remote or touchscreen) the screen drops and a scene is triggered. The projector powering on is the trigger. Admittedly the projector has a serial interface and I am using that [with CQC] to trigger the lights and projector screen.

you could use a PAC connected to the projector and poll for the power status. When it changes to on, then trigger the lights.
    Or
    Using a PAC again, when the lighting scene is triggered, send a serial command to the projector to turn it on.

Basically, you want one single IR command to trigger all the tasks you need as running a macro is fraught with problems.

You can use RF to IR and then macros will work fine.

Just some food for thought

Mick

znelbok, Jan 12, 2011
  7. madhawa.weerasooriya

Newman

Yes, still available, the 5034NIRT Infrared Transmitter. You'll also need to buy/borrow a 5100RP to learn the IR codes in a format suitable for use with the NIRT as well as the USB programming cable for programming the NIRT (5100HSCU).

A software update to CIRCA (the program used to commission the 5034NIRT) about a year ago now allows the NIRT to also execute IR Macros.

Newman, Jan 12, 2011
Ask a Question