Create C-Bus Project By .xml Import

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by banekd, Oct 27, 2014.

1. banekd

banekd

Very new to c-bus.... we have a c-bus system at the sorting depot i currently manage. We have no backup of the c-bus system but i have been given a 166k .xml file full of code.

Can i create a project from the .xml file format??

Thanks in advance

banekd, Oct 27, 2014
  2. banekd

Roosta

My suggestion would be to get someone involved that knows C-Bus to come and make the changes you require before you potentially bugger something up..

Look into doing a C-Bus training course at your works cost if it will be an ongoing thing..

Surely it can't be in the best interest of your business to potentially loose revenue or worse, endanger an employee, by a untrained unqualified person doing works on the lighting / building control system..

Roosta, Oct 27, 2014
  3. banekd

jboer

Agree with what Roosta said, but if you do want to go on your own. Download toolkit and play around first before touching anything on your system.

An DON'T loose that .xml, if it is a C-Bus database, it will be worth many $xxxx in man hours. If you are going to play with it, back it up first. It will be your return policy if stuff goes wrong.

Put it in your Tag directory in CGate2.

jboer, Oct 27, 2014
  4. banekd

banekd

Thanks jboer for your reply, Roosta you know nothing of my situation and what i do here so keep your opinions to yourself!

banekd, Oct 27, 2014
  5. banekd

Roosta

I know you are 'very new to cbus' and manage a 'sorting depot'.. I also know you have not done any C-Bus training as if you had then you would not have come onto a cbus forum asking for help on what is almost the simplest of cbus questions/tasks..

So I can only make judgement based on the information you have provided..

I also know having that sort of attitude will get you very little assistance around here so scamper off back to where ever you came from...

Roosta, Oct 27, 2014
  6. banekd

ashleigh Moderator

C-Bus Forums tries to be a coopoerative group that helps each other out.

If you have said that you are new to C-Bus, in a managerial position, and want to know more about things then Roostas advice is good. You need to:

1. Know more. (Coming here is a start for informal advice, it is not a substitute for a lot of knowledge, a course, or some very careful self-guided discovery).

2. Be careful. (If a site is commissioned then the costs of stuffing it up can be huge: for example you might have no power or lighting until something is unstuffed, and that might mean all the employees get sent home. That's known in the business as embarassing.)

3. Have backups, and backups. As pointed out, that XML file is gold. It is the definition of what is in the site. BUT IF YOU LOAD IT INTO TOOLKIT AND MAKE CHANGES then those changes are saved into that XML file and the original IS GONE FOREVER. So you need to preserve it as though its worth a lot of money.

4. Load it up, experiment and understand. And then only make changes that are needed rather than fiddle about for the heck of it.

Now, if you are offended by that kind of plain sensible advice which cost you nothing, then perhaps you should go away from here, make whatever havoc you like, and hope that when you stuff it up that you don't engage Roosta to come fix it. Because likely he'll laugh and laugh and then charge you double.

Seriously... we like people here who are polite. Please try and be polite. If you are not polite your account will be removed.

ashleigh, Oct 27, 2014
  7. banekd

banekd

Thanks ashleigh, the original xml is hidden away for safe keeping, no one i mean no one has the original c-bus project, I am the maintenance electrician here with experience with plc's.

I have managed to subdivide the source code into files and load as xml templates through toolkit and build the project this way.

Any further tips on quicker ways to do this would be helpful.

Thanks, Daniel

banekd, Oct 28, 2014
Ask a Question