Corridoor linking

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by benfjo, Feb 8, 2006.

1. benfjo

benfjo

I have not tried corridoor linking yet, however is the following scenario possible.

I have an upstairs landing and corridoor leading to some stairs. Want I would like to do is trigger the stairs light when the PIR's are triggered from the landing to the corridoor, but not when you approach from the other direction. The landing has a multisensor and the corridoor has PIR.

Any pointers on if this is possible and how to do it would be appriciated.

JB

benfjo, Feb 8, 2006
  2. benfjo

Newman

JB, not quite sure I've got a clear picture of everything you want to achieve here.

The way Corridor Linking works is to keep a common Group turned on when any one of a number of other Groups are turned on. For example, Corridor Linking could be used to automatically turn the Stairs group on when either the Landing or Corridor groups turn on. You can also program a timer so that the Stairs group turns off some time after the landing/corridor groups turn off.

Newman, Feb 8, 2006
  3. benfjo

benfjo

Okay, on re-reading my post it's not very clear. Also on looking at the corridoor stuff, it's probably not what I want anyway.

So, here is what I am trying to do.

I have some stairs which lead to a corridoor and then a landing area. The corridoor has a PIR and the landing a multisensor. What I would like to happen is if the multi sensor is triggered and then the PIR is triggered, the stair lights comes on. However, if this happens the other way around (PIR then multisensor) no action is taken.

JB

benfjo, Feb 13, 2006
  4. benfjo

Newman

Sounds to me that something like a PAC would be required to do that.

Newman, Feb 13, 2006
  5. benfjo

benfjo

Not the answer I wanted - I've been trying to put off the purchase of a PAC and this is yet another reason to get one to play with :)

benfjo, Feb 16, 2006
  6. benfjo

Phil.H

A PAC to play with.

One of the good things about PICED is the ability to write your logic code and test it in the app. You can put buttons on the page to sumulate your PIR as well as "WriteLn" to write messages into the message section of the screen. Your messages can include the state of "flags" (boolean variables) which might be used to block C-Bus controls depending on 'movement direction'. If you use a timer or two you can have these indicated on the screen or in the message window.

Once you have things well and truely sorted then buy your PAC and enjoy the result ;)

Tip.. Look in the logic help file for "WriteLn" and "ispac".

Phil.H, Feb 17, 2006
  7. benfjo

Phil.H

Code Last !

benfjo I'm not picking on you, ;) but your post above raises a very important point. After programming logic functions in various types of systems for over 12 years I have to say the first step in writing good logic code is to start by writing NO logic code...

I sit down usually with a piece of paper and writing instrument and make sure my logic operation and flow is worked out. Once you have this sorted get up, make a cup of tea (beer does not work well at this point in time) have a wee whatever, then sit back down and think of the thousand what if's. What if all the buttons are pressed at once, what happens after a power failure, what if X, Y or Z, etc. Then you have to think about the human element because a lot of us are dumb and lazy. Once you have all this sorted then you may be ready to think about some code. Remember concise code is good code. (less is good). Don't forget to include 1kg of comments per logic module - (Hi Darren !)

Write your code and test it. I usually write as much test code as function code. Get all this covered and you will probably have a neat result. Time to reward yourself with that beer we spoke of earlier.

If you are like me you will wake at 3.00AM the next morning and instantly realise you have something upside down or your could have got the same result with half the code - oh the joys. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2006
    Phil.H, Feb 17, 2006
  8. benfjo

PSC

You're a freak Phil! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

PSC, Feb 18, 2006
  9. benfjo

Phil.H

Ohhh, I thought we were friends..

Phil.H, Feb 18, 2006
  10. benfjo

ashleigh Moderator

Hey Phil - somebody after my own heart.... except... is 1kg of comments enough?

ashleigh, Feb 18, 2006
  11. benfjo

PSC

We are Phil, I was just dribbling :p

But I'm a bit concerned about what's going on between you and Ash...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2006
    PSC, Feb 18, 2006
  12. benfjo

Phil.H

Stay focused on the end result, your friends won't mind a bit of dribble here and there... ;)

Phil.H, Feb 19, 2006
  13. benfjo

benfjo

But that's what everyone always says :mad: It used to be followed by 'And now go and stand at the back of the class' :p

JB

benfjo, Feb 19, 2006
  14. benfjo

Phil.H

Really,,, just grabbed the opportunity of your post to cover an important point. I know it's important because I have got this wrong so many times.

If it makes you feel any better you can stand at the back of the class - but it's really not necessary... ;)

Let us know how you get on. :)

Phil.H, Feb 20, 2006
Ask a Question