Copy Network from One Project to Another

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by sjfp, Oct 4, 2011.

1. sjfp

sjfp

Hi. Is there a way to copy networks from one project to another by copy data in the xml files.
    We have just finshed one building which has 6 networks. Now because this is a remote building on a larger project, i now need to copy those 6 networks into another project which already has 15 networks.
    I dont wont to just scan each network and then copy network to database, there is over 400 devices overall on the networks.
    Is there a simple way for just coping the data in the xml file ????
    And before someone says why did we not program from the main site in the first place, its because the clients data network is not yet operational.
    Any help i would appreciate.

sjfp, Oct 4, 2011
  2. sjfp

daniel C-Busser Moderator

All the project data is stored in an XML file in C:\Clipsal\C-Gate\tag. While we don't support editing this file and doing so is AT YOUR OWN RISK, you can try the following:

- You should have someone with a passing familiarity with XML do this.
    - First BACK UP the original project file - in fact, back up everything!
    - Ensure there are no network numbering overlaps between the smaller and larger projects.
    - In Toolkit, create 6 placeholder networks on the larger project. Try to give them the same numbers as those on the smaller project (not necessary, but it helps).
    - Close Toolkit - make sure C-Gate is shut down as well.
    - Edit the project XML file and find each of the placeholder networks. Each one is wholly self-contained between a "<Network>" and a "</Network>".
    - Replace each placeholder network with a corresponding <Network> .. </Network> block from the smaller project file. Note, these will be quite large blocks of text so you need to be really careful.
    - Obsessively compare the before and after files to make sure there are no mistakes.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2011
    daniel, Oct 4, 2011
  3. sjfp

Dave Byron

I do all the time, things to watch;
    Make sure both database created with same version of Toolkit

Toolkit will let you make all the networks with the same number - check the numbers not the same.

The refresh does not work - the last time I used - I have to exit and restart Toolkit to pick up a new xml file.

If you not real show on the xml editing think I would copy just the tags across them scan the networks and save to database.

Dave

Dave Byron, Oct 5, 2011
  4. sjfp

sjfp

many thanks

sjfp, Oct 5, 2011
Ask a Question