Converting Serial 5500PC to Ethernet CNI for under $100

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tobex, Mar 19, 2012.

1. tobex

tobex

I sold my CNI some time ago and missed it ever since. On the backburner I had a Lantronix Xpress DR in storage. Last week I bought a used 5500PC and decided I would finally get around to combining the two. I finally managed to satisfy my curiosity that it works just like a CNI.

Once the wiring is completed and the connections made it is like an OEM setup because it responds to the same software from Lantronix.

I looked up Lantronix DR or Lantronix DIN Rail on auction sites and found them in the USA from $75 + $15 p/h and one in malaysia for $80 + p/h. Since they are industrial hardware they respond to AC or DC from 9V to 24V.

I am adding a photo for reference.

The advantage in my mind is that if you want to have multiple external controllers talking to CBus via LAN or special servers they each need a CNI to talk to. Since there are so many serial 5500PC floating around this would make them useful in that situation with this add-on. Plus it's all DIN rail.

[​IMG]

For someone who is very interested in the connections. You can pass a cable from the concealed side of Clipsal RS232 to the concealed Lantronix RS232 or you can use the visible top connectors. I refer to the view when installed in a cabinet.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2012
    tobex, Mar 19, 2012
  2. tobex

tobex

The pinout for the hidden connectors is as follows.

We know that from the RJ45 connector on the 5500PC that only pins 4,5,6 are used. Using a T568B wire layout that corresponds to Blue/Blue-white and Green.

[​IMG]

This is the wiring plan for connecting such a device to a 5500PC using the RJ45 port on the side.

[​IMG]

Works nicely.

If you only want to use RJ45 connectors.... then it goes something like this.
    ==========================================================
    Clipsal......Lantronix

It is basically a mirror image. Almost makes sense but not quite. Note: THe lantronix RJ45 is on the front panel.

Remember that TX from first port goes to RX in second port.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2012
    tobex, Mar 19, 2012
  3. tobex

Ingo

I did EXACTLY that and it works great. Because of the industrial nature of the Lantronics device it withstands lots of surges and lightning strikes in my area. My first attempt with a different kind of serial-to-ethernet converter didn't last two months.

There is one drawback though, I hate the fact that the RJ45 now only plugs in from the front of the panel and can't be hidden away nicely.

Ingo

Ingo, Mar 19, 2012
  4. tobex

tobex

Hi Ingo,

I notice that there is now also a 2 port version. In the worst case I think a plastic cover can be notched out so that the wire passes. Then again ... ethernet sticks out too.

I notice that there is a seller of C-Tick approved power supplies for DIN rail on auction at the moment. Priced really well too.

tobex, Mar 19, 2012
  5. tobex

Ingo

I notched the plastic cover right next to it so it sortoff works.

I am also powering my unit from the Comfort Alarm panel so it saves on an extra PSU inside the cabinet. That said, I also have a 24V DIN PSU for future PAC RS232 expansion.

Ingo

Ingo, Mar 19, 2012
  6. tobex

71monaro

I have a 5500PCU but would like to connect to my LAN. can I acheive this with the Lantronix component, cheaper than selling the PCU to purchase a 5500CN?

71monaro, Mar 20, 2012
  7. tobex

tobex

It can be done very cheaply but I think there is only two ways of doing it. To be sure I need a broken one to pull apart. I need to see the data lines and the model of the USB chip.

a) Open the unit and catch the TX and RX signals. All USB has serial RX and TX inside for communication to the rest of the board.

b) Install a Linux port micro-server with a custom driver. Then use a small USB cable. The problem with USB is that it requires a communication handshake. That is why the port serving function is better understood for printers.

Just for fun it would be possible to try a modern router on this function and see if you can determine the connection using a shared USB port in a router. I can also say that I used TP-LINK USB Printer server a few times and it was useful but not with CBUS. I really need to have one of these in my hand.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2012
    tobex, Mar 20, 2012
  8. tobex

tobex

http://microcontrollershop.com/product_info.php?products_id=4621

This was one of the DIN RAIL solutions I found. I want to try this one. TP-Link TL-WPS510U

SEH myUTN-80 - Device server can handle up to 8 connections. Judging by how it works I can see it working. I would give this myUTN-50 a test run.

http://www.myutn.net/myutn-products/myutn-50.html

The fundamental requirement for a USB port server is that you are able to create either a direct connection with the client software over the network or you can create an addressable port locally in the client computer. From what I have seen only a small number of produvts have the capacity to create a local port object under USB.

CBUS Toolkit may address network objects directly and is not limited to only having an USB interface. Some inferior software such as scanners and webcams can only see a virtual USB port to work this way.

Given the ability of CBUS toolkit I can see no reason why it wouldnt be possible. The final question is which addressing/brand is actually stable and can hold a data stream without interruption and then will also resume after a very long timeout.

If someone wants me to prove the concept all I need is to borrow 5500PCU.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2012
    tobex, Mar 20, 2012
Ask a Question