Controlling somfy blinds

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mjackson86, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Mjackson86

Mjackson86

Hello,
    I have done a c-bus installation to a house and it is on and working fine (lighting and audio/visual only at the mo). I had a meeting at the house today due to the owner wanting to put in sonfy electric blinds. The sales man (defiantly not engineer as too his official title) didn't really know how the electrical side of things worked and was only interested in how to fit the actual blinds. Not sure weather this true or not but all I could get out of him was that they are 24v dc and the polarity is reversed to make the blinds travel in the opposite direction. I have done electric blinds on c-bus before but the blinds had its permanent supply and then a "signal cable" which I wired in the volt free relay and programmed it to work like a bell push ( only down side being with that is that you can't tell on the system if they are open or closed unlike if you do it with the shutter relay) so eventually my question is, does anyone have any knowledge on this type of blind and how you connected it to c-bus?

Many Thanks
    Matt

Mjackson86, Feb 28, 2012
  2. Mjackson86

tobex

I was under the impression that with Somfy you would be able to select the type of controller you wanted to have installed.

But for the reasons you have highlighted, there are just as many installations with legacy wiring and unless this sales member can indicate how this would be controlled in a wiring diagram I think you can safely assume that you will be able to specify what you want.

I think the "engineer" is confusing the motor operations with the controller PCB.

tobex, Feb 28, 2012
  3. Mjackson86

mdooher

Most installs that I have done use the LS40 Somfy motor for normal domestic roller blinds. These are 230V double insulated and in AUS and NZ you just run 3core TPS to the c-bus shutter relay very simple to wire up.....only gotya is do not parallel them up..one relay one blind

mdooher, Feb 28, 2012
  4. Mjackson86

znelbok

My erxperiance is the same - a lot of these sales guys are pushig one thing only and do not generally have a clue as to what is available.

I would suggest that a bit of research from your side and telling him to go back and ask would yield a result that is more suitable to you.

My last job was roller shutters and the exact samet hing was said, only 24VDC was used - well suffice it to say that we did not use that motor and ended up with a 240VAC motor and a better install - and the sales guy learnt something as well.

Mick

znelbok, Feb 28, 2012
Ask a Question